1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on 1903 and 1938 wedding gowns

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Vintagiality, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Hi all,

I am super super excited about my most recent acquisition of two early 20th century wedding dresses and one bridesmaid dress. They were in storage boxes with tissue paper and clearly labeled with the names of the bride and groom as well as the date of their wedding and with the name of the bridesmaid. Besides the dress, one box also contains a veil, shoes, and garters. One wedding dress and the bridesmaid dress are from 1903 and the other is from 1938. There is also a newspaper clipping from 1957 that describes a ladies society event where a number of old wedding gowns were modeled including these.

I am honestly afraid to even take them fully out of the boxes. Just from lifting the fabric, I can tell that they weren't cleaned so they have some soiling and some oxidation as well as something that may have been a floral piece that has left some pinkish remnants and a bit of staining on the surrounding fabric. They appear to have no holes, tearing or other damage though (except the shoes where the leather on the heal has deteriorated)

I am not sure how to proceed with these and looking for advice. These are the most exquisite pieces I have ever owned. I checked on professional antique gown cleaning and restoration but it was north of $700 each. Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    Victoria
    IMG_2698.JPG IMG_2699.JPG IMG_2700.JPG IMG_2701.JPG IMG_2703.JPG IMG_2704.JPG IMG_2705.JPG IMG_2706.JPG IMG_2707.JPG IMG_2708.JPG IMG_2709.JPG IMG_2710.JPG IMG_2711.JPG IMG_2690.JPG IMG_2691.JPG IMG_2695.JPG IMG_2702.JPG IMG_2692.JPG

2. What a beautiful find. I too would be afraid to take them out of the box. Is there a museum that you could take them to and ask if they could help with the removal?

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

They all look beautiful and I too would be concerned. I would be too curious to see the condition and would take a look at them, gently removing them from their boxes. Obviously, putting out that kind of money ($700 ea) may not be worth the cost if there is serious deterioration occurring. And what would be the sale value as that is a quite a sum to put out.

If you get brave, please do let us see them in full...they really do look amazing and so wonderful to have those original boxes and notes.

4. Vintagiality

Thank you both. I braved taking out the newer one and while it does have some grey stains which may be some sort of mildew, the lace was in good condition without any deterioration or holes. Would you try to clean it by soaking or dry cleaning?

I am thinking of taking them to the historical costume society which I incidentally learned about yesterday before I even got these when I visited one of Boston's historic Beacon Hill museum houses.

5. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I would love to see the 1903 gown. It looks yummy.

Since you would have to take them out of the boxes in order to have them restored or cleaned, or even to sell them, why not just go ahead and take them out? One has to find out what is in there!

I have handled a great deal of antique wedding gowns, and most of them have some discoloration or spotting. If the gowns are in good shape otherwise, they are still real prizes.

Congratulations on a fabulous score.

Vintagiality likes this.
  6. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

wow, Victoria! what an acquistion for you! looking forward to seeing them!

7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Hint: put down a white bedsheet on the dining room table or floor, and then take the dresses out of their boxes on top of this - that way anything that rolls away, breaks off, shatters etc. is caught on the sheet and its easy to see.

These are the types of donations we get at the museum all the time, and the provenance is pretty good for these. I would do some online research and see if you can find a picture of the women in their wedding dresses - if you could get pics, that would make a huge improvement in their historical value.

Like Barbara says - you can't tell what they are, or the condition, until you take them out of their boxes, so go ahead. They aren't improving by sitting folded up in an acidic box.

8. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

What an amazing lot of stuff!

9. Vintagiality

Thank you all. I plan to contact the costume society folks first and see if I can take them there for an expert to look at. If they can suggest a good way to clean them I may go for that. Otherwise, I will brave the unpacking and will let you know.