1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on saving a few dresses

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Vintagiality, May 3, 2019.

1. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Hi all,

I have a few dresses I have acquired over the years that are otherwise amazing and in great condition but for the discoloration on the underarm. What do you typically do in such cases? Is there any trick to repairing or alteration that would preserve the dress without major changes but make it wearable again?

Thank you
    Victoria

2. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

So much depends on the fiber, age and the strength of the fabric. It's pretty much a case by case treatment, and I personally have had little success except with cotton washables. Silk is the worst for holding perspiration stains and then deteriorating.

wyogems and Vinclothes like this.
  3. Vintage Runway

Vintage Runway VFG Member

I have had luck with using a 50/50 mixture of peroxide and amonia. I dab it on the area in question and keep reapplying when it dries. It can take several days but usually they do come out. I learned that trick from someone of the VFG - whoever you are - thank you!

wyogems likes this.
  4. wyogems

wyogems VFG Member

I don't know your fabric but I have used instant spot remover from the home depot applied to a cotton pad on polyester and it worked. Sometimes there is nothing you can do if it has faded the dyes in the fabric

5. I would never try to treat or remove vintage rayon, silk or other weak fabrics.

6. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Besides trying to treat the stains which in this case won’t work because it has discolored the fabric, do you try to repair them in any other way for example by patching or by removing say the sleeves and deepening the arm hole?

Thanks

7. Yes, on some that are not repairable as they are, I have had my talented seamstress remove the sleeves and reset them. Either by shortening the length or completely removing the sleeves all together.
    But, it wasnt an inexpensive process, so i only did it ones that had a higher value

8. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I had some success with removing the stained areas and replacing the underarms with gussets. That depended on finding fabric--from a hem, pockets, a sash, etc.
    Marian