1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice sought on earliest faux fur fabrics & dating faux fur bolero jackets

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Anna Evans, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Anna Evans

Anna Evans Registered Guest

Hello, I am new to the VFG forums. I have been collecting for around 25 years (since I was about 15) and I am currently selling most of my collection online. I have hit a wall with faux fur fabrics. There is a type of fabric that I am very familiar with from 20s/30s garments. It consists of a hessian type loose weave fabric with hairs attached. It looks a little like velvet. I read about the earliest faux fur being invented in 1929 and that it was made using alpaca hair. I am currently listing two garments made from this mystery fabric (hessian backing with individual hairs or fibres) I am wondering if this is the alpaca faux fur, or perhaps it's a precursor of the alpaca hair version that I do not yet know the correct name for. I would be extremely grateful for any further information on faux furs in the lp2.jpg lp1.jpg lp3.jpg black1.jpg black2.jpg black3.jpg black5.jpg 20s and 30s, and earlier, if applicable. Also, if anyone can nail the age of the two garments in question with greater accuracy, that would be wonderful! I am thinking 30s for the animal print bolero jacket and I am slightly thrown by the black bolero. It may be 30s but could be earlier. It seems to be cut for a large bust and it looks early in construction. Many thanks in advance & best wishes, Anna

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    wyogems likes this.
  2. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

The black jacket may be made from cotton backed plush. The pile is longer/taller than velvet. From a distance it can look like a short fur.
    Marian

Anna Evans likes this.
  3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I see why you think the spotted one is 30s, the puffs at the shoulder sleeve area indicate that to me. It looks like imitation giraffe plush faux fur.
    The 2nd one looks older to me, perhaps Edwardian again I agree with Marian on the type of fabric.

Anna Evans likes this.
  4. Anna Evans

Marian,

Thankyou so much! It really helps to speak to people with more knowledge. I can only get so far with book/internet research when it comes to fabrics. I will research plush. Anna

5. Anna Evans

That's wonderful to have the fabric confirmed & the dates. I am so very grateful! Anna

6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Just wanted to add that faux fur fabrics have been around since the late Victorian times, much earlier than 1929.

Anna Evans likes this.
  7. poppysvintageclothing

Definitely agree with Barbara, the "plush" faux fur fabrics had been available much earlier than 1929.

Anna Evans likes this.
  8. Anna Evans

Thankyou Barbara! I was confused when I read that particular except on the VFG fabric resource. I felt sure I had seen earlier faux furs so it's good to have this confirmed. I'm very grateful.

9. Anna Evans

Thankyou again Mary Jane!

10. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I have seen faux fur from the Regency period, so there have been attempts to recreate fur for a very long time.

Anna Evans likes this.
  11. vintagevixen

vintagevixen VFG Member

Jonathan, that's fascinating. The earliest we've had in inventory would be 1890s or so.

12. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

There is a sample of a fur printed silk-napped fabric for making men's vests in one of the issues of Ackermann's repository (c. 1810) in our library

Anna Evans and vintagevixen like this.
  13. vintagevixen

vintagevixen VFG Member

Anna Evans likes this.
  14. Anna Evans

Thanksyou Jonathan, it's amazing to think Faux fur has been around for 100s of years!

15. poppysvintageclothing

16. vintagevixen

vintagevixen VFG Member