1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Age of dress hoop, and is this a slip or skirt?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by The Vintage Vendeuse, Jul 1, 2018.

1. These are two of the items I picked up at the estate sale of a woman who was over 100 years old. The first is the net dress hoop, what era was this from? Closes at the side with two hooks and eyes.
    66E2C6BD-895B-4F37-89D3-0EBB9E5994F5.jpeg D31BFDD1-CEAD-4E6A-8EB6-39087B848F7C.jpeg A226AF21-28D8-4616-80C3-AB2FCBBA35A2.jpeg

The second is a very tiny wasted (22”) slip or skirt. A lovely wool with pretty embroidery along the hem. There is a placket at the side but no way to fasten it, and no sign that there ever was anything. What would have been used as a closure and is this a slip or a skirt?
    F1860805-6B29-432B-9E72-E5F8472B8C62.jpeg C4A17045-D3A0-4FF6-B094-E5EC2F22698D.jpeg BE367F53-6C3B-4665-AE81-4C1EF88208CD.jpeg

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

The first crinoline looks like it is from a wedding gown from the late 40s into the 1950s.

The 2nd item is a part of a baptismal outfit. I believe these were the slips with an overdress to put on over it.

cmpollack likes this.
  3. Thank you, Mary Jane!
    I never would have thought of the second item being from a baptismal outfit. I suppose it may have fit an older baby but certainly not a newborn. Do you think it was closed with something like a safety pin or a beauty pin?

4. poppysvintageclothing

I am uncertain how they actually closed these but a pin may have been used or perhaps they were tied with a ribbon.

The Vintage Vendeuse likes this.
  5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

The closed them with a pin - its the reason the safety pin was invented - for closing baby clothing. Although it's long and could have been used for a Christening gown, it's not necessarily for baptism - its a long winter petticoat but at the turn of the century, the idea was apparently to use long dresses for proms, so that the dress spilled out of the carriage! (I read that somewhere a while back -- don't remember where...)

6. @Jonathan, are you saying that the wool petticoat could have been for an adult? The wool portion (not including the wide cotton "waistband") measures 33 inches. Any idea of its age?

7. poppysvintageclothing

Jonathan, I guess the question would be how long is this piece? I know I have encountered several over the years that came with baptismal gowns and matched them which is why I felt it was. Interesting about the carriage dress!

8. Looks like we posted at the same time, Mary Jane. The wool piece, not including the cotton waistband, is 33 inches long.

Editing to add: there were a lot of children's garments at the sale, including one baptismal gown which appeared sized for 0-3 months and looked nothing like this piece. (Doesn't mean that another sale customer didn't already purchase something that matched this piece, of course.) Also, wouldn't it have been more likely that the hand-embroidery along the hem would have included crosses/religious symbols?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  9. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I am sure Jonathan meant pram not prom in his post. Spell check strikes again. Those petticoats were wrapped around the baby's chest, under the arms, then pinned. They were for warmth and also for show, as can be seen in old photos. I have had the same type of petticoats made of cotton, often with elaborate embroidery and many tucks.
    Marian

10. Ahhh, now I get the picture, thanks! :duh2:

11. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Yes, I meant pram... sorry about that - just sloppy typing on my part. Not all long baby dresses were Christening gowns - we had a collection of baby dresses come in to the collection that were from c. 1900, and they were all long but they all came from the same baby - although the longest of them all was the Christening dress, but if you didn't know that, you would think they were all intended as Christening gowns. I guess its like not all white dresses are for weddings, or black dresses for mourning...

12. poppysvintageclothing

Most christening gowns I have had never had any religious symbols.

13. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Over the years I have had a number of baby garments similar, all made of this lovely cream vanilla colored wool, embroidered with silk or cotton threads in a lighter shade. Gowns, and matching coats or jackets. I always loved the work on these.

14. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I've never seen religious motifs on christening gowns or confirmation dresses...

15. Come to think of it, neither have I, LOL. The cross was always on the white bib that the baby wore over the christening set at my old church.