1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Age of Issey Miyake set?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by The Vintage Vendeuse, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Hello everyone, I am hoping someone can help me with assigning a date to this set. I'm thinking 70s or 80s. This particular label is not in the resource but the font of the letters is similar to the labels attributed to the 1980s. The set is very soft and light weight, made of 50% linen and 50% polyester. Plain and simple, but looks oh so comfortable!
    According to the Issey Miyake website, a Paris store was first opened in 1975.
    (Sorry about the horrible photo of the set. I'll try to get a better one with the set on my mannequin this weekend. She's put away right now.)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  2. Well, I can't say that it looks much better when it's on the mannequin, LOL.

image.jpeg

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I wonder if this may have originally had some sort of wide matching fabric belt with it. I can see a wide belt around the hip area with this.

I do agree that the type on the label is similar to the 80s one we have in the label resource.

http://vintagefashionguild.org/label-resource/miyake-issey/

4. Thank you, Mary Jane. :)
    There are no belt loops, even thread ones, but I agree it would look better belted.
    It's my first Issey find but I'm not dancing in the aisles about it. I know he was generally considered a minimalist but this is downright plain.

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I would not expect it to have actual belt loops but I do see it with a very wide belt most likely with a funky buckle and worn slinging down over the hips.

The Vintage Vendeuse likes this.
  6. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

This is the kind of garment that screams for an editorial! I love it, I see it on a moving model with a big cocoon coat,
    9aecfca8f657b28184bb74a517da6aff.jpg

Not editorial but interesting photo of typical 80s styling.
    c42d185c86db08b0fecd4f58d9a1ae89.jpg

7. Thank you for the photos, Carla, you've helped me to appreciate my set more!

carla rey likes this.