1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Age of this vintage sweater?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Pepper Sinclair, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Pepper Sinclair

Pepper Sinclair Registered Guest

Hello! I just got back from the thrift store where I found this vintage wool sweater. It looks a lot like 1930s mens sport's sweaters I've seen on the internet but I'm not sure. It's very nice wool, I think it's probably from a mill. The label reads "Jaydee 100% Pure Virgin Wool by Knitters LTD." It's pretty big and the buttons are on the right which makes me believe it's a sweater man's sweater. The label has a slight Art Deco look to it. The buttons are all black plastic and I believe they are original. The button holes have an interesting construction, I don't know how to describe it but there are photos. Unlined and all the seams are serged. Any information on the age of this sweater would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

P6051134.JPG P6051135.JPG

P6051136.JPG P6051139.JPG

Please excuse the hair in this photo. It's not mine.

P6051140.JPG P6051141.JPG

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  2. As the label says "100% pure virgin wool" it is likely to be from a time when knitwear may be a wool blend, ie after acrylic was invented in the early '50s.

3. Pepper Sinclair

Hi Nicole, that makes sense...was this style popular then?

I was looking around a bit and I found these photos of sweaters that are very similar to this one from a catalogue dated 1921. You can even see the two button loops at the top like this one has. Some of them as described as being "All-Wool" and some of them are cotton/wool. Could this be what the label is referring to?

1921-boys-sweaters-01.jpg 1921-mens-sweater-coats-01.jpg

missaleecat likes this.
  4. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I would have to agree with Nicole it doesn't look as old as that to me. There are a couple of reasons I can think of why this might look so similar to the adverts you found; there was a revival of 1920's fashions in the 60's certainly in womenswear, for all I know this also crossed over into menswear. I do know that frequently when I find a near exact copy of an older style with newer materials it was made for an older clientele for whom that style was popular or very fashionable when they were young.

amandainvermont likes this.
  5. Apparently, it's a French-Canadian company. I found this info about Knitter's Limited (google translate does an okay job making it readable to those of us who aren't fluent in French). And I found this garment (nothing like your sweater, I know) by the same company and it's listed as a 60's garment. Unfortunately, there's no photo of the label.

6. Pepper Sinclair

7. Pepper Sinclair

It's almost unworn! The only problem is a small pull on the front.

From what I've read on the company, it was founded in 1920 after it seperated from The Acme Glove Works. I In the second part of the 20th century, the textile part of the company was doing very poorly which caused the demise of the company. There is a possibility that it is from the 1920s or 30s as the label is different and the style is definetely of or based on that era. I've been trying to find a similar sweater from the 50s or 60s to compare it to but I can't. To me the label looks older.

8. pinky-a-gogo

pinky-a-gogo VFG Member VFG Past President

About the label "looking" older.....it could be.
    Some companies used the same label over the years...never changing or updating the style.

The same label could be used in the 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's etc.

That is why you can't simply use a label to date clothing. It can only be used as one piece of the puzzle.

Love this sweater.
    Keep us posted on any more info you dig up!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
    jauntyrooster likes this.
  9. Pepper Sinclair

Yes, I know what you mean. But just the general style and the label are sort of making me think it's older but as I said I'm not an expert. Canadian companies are harder to track down too. I've read that the Knitters comapny was one of the most famous companies in the knit goods industry in Quebec so I think they would have had a pretty youg clientele because of this. And this style of sweater appears to have been really popular in the 20s and 30s. Perhaps the colour scheme could be a clue also? Is this colour combination common in older clothing? I think it's the colours of a school perhaps.

10. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

They are the colours of Dennis the Menace, the comic strip character who appeared in March 1951 but I doubt that influenced adult clothing unless it was popular for adults too at that time?

The colours are partly what make me think this is later, as you can see the 20's/30's knitwear use more muted tones.

11. Pepper Sinclair

Hi Melanie,

I agree with you on the colours, they definetely aren't like the ones from the ads or from other sweaters I've searched for from this era. The condition is also troubling me as it is almost perfect. They could be school colours also...

12. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

I have had men's sweaters as old as 1930s that indicate 100% wool or All Wool and this does indeed look like an earlier style men's sweater. I do agree that colors etc look a bit more modern but the fish eye buttons often show up on earlier men's sweaters. I want to check a few references before ruling out it being an older piece...and I am in the camp that this may be older. Regardless, it is a great sweater. Very nice find!!

13. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

Also - just a quick aside about mens knitwear colors (not necessarily proving that the sweater in question is older, more just a general note)...the idea that sweater colors were muted or bland in the earlier decades, particularly the 1920s is a bit of a myth. The 20s was a decade of youth and the menswear clothing colors followed right along with the theme. The following excerpts are from a discussion of 1920s - 1930s knits found in the Esquire Encyclopedia of Menswear:

"Novelties in imported knit goods a riot of color" was the headline of a fashion article in Mens Wear (May 7, 1924). "New arrivals will tickle the tired Business Man - Flaming Youth will be pleased," - promised the subheadline. (Page 353)

"To one fashion reporter it seemed that the paucity of sweater patterns had brought into vogue the most brilliant shades of blue, green, and other colors. In the forefront were Prussian blue, royal blue, copen blue, pale green, apple green, and bottle green." (page 353)
    The bright colors of 20s were found not just in knitwear but also suits, ties, and and hose.

Although of course a very different style, here is a very vivid blue sweater I sold that dates from the 1930s:

blue sweater VFG.jpg

Pepper - I wonder if it would be possible for you post a photo of your sweater coat with the collar turned down.

Thanks!

14. Pepper Sinclair

Hi Maureen,

I took some photos of the sweater with the buttons down. The first picture is with both buttons undone at the top and the second is only with the top one undone. I've also included a picture of the button itself which might help with the dating. Also found this 1920s image of another similar sweater with stripes like mine.

P6071146.JPG P6071147.JPG P6071149.JPG 2a0085b2052a64b3205726ec952683c3.jpg

15. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

Okay - so that does help nail it down. I can also see your buttons better and they aren't the fish eye style I originally thought - I apologize for that error on my part. I do think we can safely say that this is a more modern take/version of an earlier style. Although they indeed made brightly colored sweaters in the 20s, this red doesn't read quite right and the yarn weight is also just not right to be early. Additionally, the seams look machined rather than hand joined as you would likely find in a 20s sweater and those seams going down either side on the front don't sit right with me for an earlier sweater. So, having said all that, I am also going to land in the 50s - 60s camp for the reasons I have shared. I think that you will have no trouble selling it as it is a very nice garment. The fact that it is all wool helps also.

Lots of good discussion, thank you for bringing the sweater to the VFG and congratulations on your find!

lkranieri likes this.
  16. Pepper Sinclair

Thank you for clarifying it! I am happy either way and after reading some of the replies I started to see that it most likely is a more modern garment. The things you thought were seams are actually ribbing and they are on the back also. Thank you to everybody else who shared info, these forums are super helpful!

17. GaryDavis

GaryDavis Registered Guest

I have one just like it! with crests sewn on!!

MagsRags and Retro Ruth like this.
  18. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

would love to see it, if you have a photo of it to share with us here?

MagsRags likes this.
  19. Marxist-Linenist

Marxist-Linenist Registered Guest

Great piece, whatever its age!