1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Al Cooper Beverly Hills Label

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by susanandco, Jan 4, 2018.

1. susanandco

susanandco Registered Guest

Hello! Does anyone know anything about this label? From other listings I have found I believe this is a store label. The garment probably designed by someone else. Just wondered what years of operation. I am debating about dating the coat from the 50s or 60s. The fabric makes me lean towards mod 60s, but the cut with the princess fitting seams and the peplum seem to say 50s. Thanks in advance for any input!

Attached Files:

2. bycin

bycin Guest

Sure looks 60s to me.

3. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I found only a few bits of information about what I assume is your same label source.

-- In the 1940 California census for San Francisco I found an Al Cooper, born in Russia in 1896, working as a salesman in his own dress shop, and married to Etta, who also worked in a dress shop (the same one, I assume).

-- In a 1952 Los Angeles newspaper I found a classified ad asking for an alteration/fitter for "Better Ladies Ready to Wear" at Al Cooper's "NEW STORE" in Westwood Village

-- Someone's family tree recorded Etta's death in 1953

-- In a 1959 LA newspaper I found a classified ad asking for an an alteration sewer for "Better ladies ready to wear" at Al Cooper's at 1038 Westwood Blvd.

-- Social Security records the death of an A. Cooper in Los Angeles in March 1967. He was born in 1896, but it doesn't say where.

-- A Sept. 1967 classified ad in a Los Angeles paper advertised for "Sales Girls; bright young boutique & sportswear" for Al Cooper's at 1038 Westwood Blvd.

-- Two 1968 classified ads in the Los Angeles paper asked for experienced salesgirls ("fashion sportswear") and a manager ("well established exclusive ladies ready to wear") at Al Cooper's Westwood Blvd store.

-- A 1972 classified ad in a Los Angeles paper sought a woman to do alterations for "high fashion better ladies apparel" at Al Cooper's store, now at 9676 Wilshire Blvd, Beverly Hills.

-- A 1973 Los Angeles classified ad sought someone for alterations at Al Cooper's at the same Wilshire Blvd address.

I didn't see any more ads after that, although the store may very well have still been in business after that.

4. susanandco

susanandco Registered Guest

Thank you for that info!! I did find a couple other items on eBay and Etsy with the same label. I am going to date it 60s.

5. Cwood

Cwood Registered Guest

This was my father’s store, Al Cooper, first in Westwood Village from 1936 - 1969. In 1969 his brother Harry Cooper, whose store was in Beverly Hills, retired and my dad moved to Beverly Hills because Westwood had declined. He carried all the great designers, Bill Blass, Donald Brooks, Geoffrey Beene, Stanley Fox, Paul Parnes, Travilla, Oscar de la Renta and so many more. He had a buying office in New York, Sofie Feliz at 577 7th Ave. He went to NY 3-5 times a year to buy....it was a fabulous business for so many years. All the Hollywood stars and socialites shopped as well as the UCLA coeds at his sport shop the Town & Shore in Westwood. I worked in the store every Saturday and Christmas and summer vacations as a teenager. After 2 years of college I worked in the store and managed and was the buyer for the sportswear...1968 until he passed away in 1974 and we closed the store. I still have my Mother’s wedding suit from 1942 and some vintage Anne Klein items. I just googled Al Cooper vintage clothing and found the sight....thank you!

6. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

@Cwood oh how wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing your family story. If you have any garments with labels for which you can provide the date, we would love it if you could submit a photo of them for our label resource

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  7. Cwood

Cwood Registered Guest

I will work on sending photos of the several items I have.

8. Ariel da Fonte

Ariel da Fonte Registered Guest

@Cwood I am doing preliminary research on Donald Brooks for something exciting. I would love to speak with you and see any pieces you may possibly still have.

9. BWalker

BWalker Registered Guest

Hello @Cwood I am so happy I found your post reply! I ended up with a gorgeous woolen blazer/jacket with an ermine collar by your uncle. (Harry Cooper Beverly Hills) and have been trying to find out any info! It sadly does not fit me and the Ermine collar is in need of a repair. Would I be able to post or send you photos for an opinion? Thank you so much, Breonna

10. Carol T

Carol T Registered Guest

I have a lovely Harry Cooper dress that belonged to my late mother-in-law. 3/4 sleeves, tailored black crepe, belted with satin bow in front, probably size 8. I believe it's from the 60s. How do I find out more about it?

11. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

12. Carol T

Carol T Registered Guest

Thank you, Midge. I’ll do that.

13. Lizlay567

Lizlay567 Registered Guest

Hi Breonna, I hope this finds you well! I'd love to find out more about this ermine collared-blazer, would you be up for a quick chat soon? I've given you a follow x

BWalker likes this.