1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alexandre Vassiliev Foundation fashion exhibitions

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Jonathan, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I met Alexandre about 25 years ago when he came to Toronto and he was quite the eccentric with a lot of knowledge. He has since amassed a huge collection of vintage and antique clothing and accessories over the years and does a lot of exhibitions, primarily in Eastern Europe. His latest show, however, is in Geneva. I don't quite get the connection between the paintings and the clothes, but it looks great:
    https://www.facebook.com/AlexandreVassilievFoundation/

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I thought you might go!

4. Midge

I was looking at a few other ideas to be away that day (I am officially "away" so I could tell a friend that I can unfortunately not go to his party which is somewhere out in the sticks where I absolutely don't want to go... :BAGUSE: - not how I operate normally, but here are reasons...), but this beats all the others I had :).

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

WOW!!! Looking forward to hearing back from you, Karin.

6. poppysvintageclothing

Is he the same Russian man who started out with the shoe collection?

7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

No, that's Nazim Mustafaev, who still has the collection for the publishing company Shoe Icons: https://eng.shoe-icons.com/collection/index.htm They are collecting costume now as well. They both seem to have a bottomless supply of funding! (I am totally jealous)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  8. poppysvintageclothing

It hurts when people have the deep pockets and you don't...know the feeling.

9. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Thanks for the link! I know him, I have sold him many of my antique hats over the years. He is also the author of the book "Beauty In Exile" which is a beautiful book, and I do recommend it for fashion historians.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    Vintagiality likes this.
  10. Midge

Now I am going to be really curious about the exhibition!!! And I like portrait painting as well, so I think this is made for me!

Barbara, did you see this photo?
    242109670_4620447914646378_703275776798497823_n.jpg

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  11. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Thanks Karin! The hats he buys/bought from me are all mostly Victorian and Edwardian, some 1920s.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  12. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

I follow them on facebook. They have some amazing pieces! I thought they were all at a museum in Lithuania

13. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I think that's his home base, or at least the collection's home base. At one point he lived in Paris or at least had an apartment there.

Vintagiality likes this.
  14. Midge

I am finally going to see this tomorrow - didn't work with the weekend that I'd originally planned because my mom wants to come too. Plus, there will hopefully be less people at the museum on a weekday...

15. Midge

I've only just come back - it's been a long day as it's three hours each way by train. Will take a moment to sort through my photos, but thank you so much for the recommendation, @Jonathan ! It's a fabulous exhibition, my mom loved it too - lovely presentation, a lot to see, not a lot of other people - and it's actually free! The whole museum is free and the special exhibition is too, we were really surprised! There was also a mini exhibition of paper fans that we had quick look through, and of course Geneva is the hometown of Jean-Etienne Liotard, so the museum has a lot of his works. A few were in the special exhibition and a few more we saw on a quick walk through the art collection. His pastel portraits are utterly amazing, I have seen some before but never so many in one place, so this was a very happy bonus.

16. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

So jealous! Sounds awesome. Do share so photos when you can