1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Alligator Lacoste" Label is unusual

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by TrickVintage, Jun 20, 2011.

1. TrickVintage

TrickVintage Registered Guest

\"Alligator Lacoste\" Label is unusual

well, i have this nylon 70's/80's woman's raincoat that has this "Alligator Lacoste" label inside.

I checked the label resource and didn't see anything just like it. I've sold a lot of vintage lacoste items and have never seen this label either.

anyone familiar with this ?

thanks !
    Connie

2. StelmaDesigns

StelmaDesigns Alumni +

You know, I'm not expert on Lacoste, but the way that size tag is attached below the wash instruction label looks very recent to me. Sorry I am not much help otherwise, but I don't believe this is vintage. I could be wrong ;o)

3. Shygarden

Shygarden Alumni

I haven't seen this Lacoste label before, but I have seen similar washing instruction labels on vintage trench coats from the late 70s/early 80s.

4. TrickVintage

i actually found a few windbreaker/rain jackets from lacoste listed on ebay that had the "alligator lacoste" label.

i thought my embroidered label and the fact that it was made in taiwan would narrow it down to the 80's ?

5. StelmaDesigns

StelmaDesigns Alumni +

Hi,

Well, from the little I know about this label, the alligator should be green or the earlier ones blue. Here is a link to an '80's label on Etsy. Broken link before vintage. http://www.etsy.com/listing/37937622/ vintage-lacoste-raincoat-80s-mens

Here is another off eBay, link broken before vtg.; http://cgi.ebay.com/ vtg-IZOD-LACOSTE-SLICKER-Boating-Raincoat-Jacket-80s-/380347551071

It is also that modern size label tag that is recent looking. I am not sure about the gold and black label but if I find anything I will post again.

6. StelmaDesigns

StelmaDesigns Alumni +

7. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Can we see the entire coat? Is it a jacket or a coat?

I think it's vintage, but since I, too, am not familiar with that label design, I can't say for sure. But the wording of that label--"expertly engineered," "easily packable," and superlatives such as "amazingly"--just doesn't sound contemporary, or even very modern to me. It's the kind of "jingle lingo" that was used maybe as far back as the 70s.

8. StelmaDesigns

StelmaDesigns Alumni +

Thanks Anne,

I was going to ask Connie the same thing. Color and style are big clues. Thanks Connie for posting!

Julia

9. TrickVintage

thanks ladies. it it a long coat, button front, detachable-button hood, slash pockets, self-tie waist sash.
    this color (kind of a persimmon red) seems to be VERY difficult to photograph

i'm having a heckofatime with my camera lately

10. TrickVintage

here's a closer photo

11. StelmaDesigns

StelmaDesigns Alumni +

Thank you for posting photos. I have to tell you this is driving me so nuts! I have been researching all over the web for too long. As I mentioned previous, this is not a label I am expert in but I do know what the label looks like on a shirt. I am so frustrated in not being able to find any reference to a red crocodile, and thats the other strange thing, the Lacoste shirts are crocodiles and not alligators. Is "Alligator Lacoste" a totally different brand than I am thinking? I can't even find out about womans wear this company may have made?

Don't kill me, but there is also the possibility this is a knock off. Sure, the style looks late 70's to me from what I can see, but the placement of the crocodile is odd and also the color. Is the embroidered logo detailed where you can see the eyes and teeth sharply? I do know fake shirts are everywhere and hit an all time high in the 80's when Lacoste shirts were so popular. I think they still are everywhere. I can send you links to all sorts of sites on how to tell a fake shirt, but this label has me totally stumped! I wish another member who knows this label would help you out here. I would love to know myself! I hope I am wrong but I just have doubts about this one. Also, you have the item in your hands and I do not. You would be able to tell a quality constructed garment where as I can hardly see the details at all due to the bright color.

I give up! Completely stumped! It sure does look vintage late 70's...

Here is a thread I found that was interesting..broken after .com. http://forums.ebay.com /db1/topic/Vintage-Clothing-Accessories/Alligator-Lacoste/510133268&start=0

Julia

12. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

I found this sold item on Etsy with an "Alligator Lacoste" label. It is different from yours and of course, we have no way to verify that the info is true or item is real but still interesting.

After initial "Googling," I am starting to wonder if Lacoste actually had a line called "Alligator?"

I know Julia has done a lot of research...are you seeing any of this?

13. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

Now it is bugging me too!!!!

I am slightly leery because of the placement of the logo. Could we see a really good close up of the logo on the color? Also is there by chance and RN # on the tag (front or back)?

It is soooo cute - I just love that color and I am hoping it is real. I am just not sure they would put the croc on the collar like that.

14. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

As I'm reading this thread, I get a niggling voice in my head that says I've seen or heard of this line (but I don't think I've never seen this specific label). But my brain simply can't get any closer to it.

I once did quite a bit of research on LaCoste in connection with David Crystal (and ended up going way past that point), but didn't save it and can't remember most of it.... That's what happens when you get old, I guess!

I think I would put this at early 80s, when colors like fuschia, electric blue, etc., were quite popular. I have a bright blue 80s' trench/rain coat that I know is a few years later than yours, but the fabric looks very much the same.