1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Angora Washing & Care Help

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Beehive Vintage Goods, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Last one from me today...I promise!!

I'm about to handwash a vintage angora sweater...but thought I better stop here first and ask any do's and don'ts.

Anyone have any good Angora advice to offer???

Thanks so much!
    Bonnie

2. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Hi Bonnie,

I wash angora exactly as I do cashmere. Here's from the article I wrote on cashmere for the guild:

In most cases, Cashmere sweaters should be hand washed. Use a tub or container large enough to lay the sweater flat. Think of your sweater as being hair: Use a good conditioning shampoo and cold water. Gently squeeze the water and suds through the sweater for three or four minutes. Drain the sudsy water and rinse several times until all soap is gone. Remove the sweater from the tub and gently squeeze out the excess water. Place the sweater on a towel and roll up the sweater and towel to press the water out.

Place the sweater on a flat surface to dry, making sure to shape the sweater properly and to smooth out any wrinkles

Lizzie

3. That's great Lizzie - thanks so much!!

4. kevinjohnnyc

kevinjohnnyc Registered Guest

That's exactly what I do too. After all cashmere is just hair. Dry cleaned cashmere is stiff and dry. I also hand-wash unlined linen...

kj