1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Harris Tweed coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by poisson_rouge, May 18, 2022.

1. poisson_rouge

poisson_rouge Registered Guest

I just saw the other post on a Harris Tweed coat and @Ken at Aero 's insight made me want to ask about my own coat. I judged it to be from the 70s-early 80s given the woolmark logo and Fairbrooke font. The bolt number is very faint but I'm pretty sure it's only six digits -- it looks like "327980." What I think I got from @Ken at Aero 's insight on the serial numbers on the HT tag in another thread, is that the fabric might be . Wondering if it's possible to date the fabric itself, if it could even be a couple decades older than the coat.

If that's the case, (following what was said in the other thread) the fabric would be likely be from before 1950, even though the coat is several decades younger? Is that right?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 18, 2022
  2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It looks 70s to me. Let's see what others think about it.

3. poisson_rouge

Thanks, I'm pretty confident it is 70's, just another user had some insight on the serial numbers on the HT tag in another thread. Wondering if it's possible to date the fabric itself, if it could even be a couple decades older than the coat.

4. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

that type of tweed was wildly popular in the 1970s, super slubby with bright colors tossed in to an otherwise very much neutral base.

i see 70s if not 80s with that large back flap detail

5. Ken at Aero

Ken at Aero Registered Guest

This particular Harris Tweed Label would have been woven in USA and numbered in USA, Design dates from the 50s but might well have been used for yeasrs
    So it could be an original 50s label or it could be a reproduction of one(Looks very sharp)
    Tweed may well have be old stock at the time and the numbers ....which I can't read...are correct

My own company has permission from The HT Authority to replicaste their 1934-39 Label on our current production Harris Tweed garments (These will no doubt confuse in the distant future)
    On the other hand labels can often sit around a factoryfor decades and get used much later than they were made
    All this makes dating from a label alone very prone to error. Bottom Line re your coat Style is pure 70s/80s crossover. Maker's label is also typical of period

6. poisson_rouge

Appreciate you sharing all that! It's really fascinating. All those idiosyncrasies of how clothes are made, I mean, when you're outside production, everything feels so intentional and seamless (pun intended). Imagining all those different elements puts even more history into these textiles -- like, they've been through so many past lives.

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  7. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

IIRC, there are Japanese companies that have done something similar with rayon Aloha shirts. Theirs are replicas right down to the label.