1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Antique Hand Painted Silk Velvet

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by pomparella, Nov 20, 2020.

1. pomparella

pomparella Registered Guest

Does anyone have any links or resources re: the hand painting of silk velvet for bedspreads in Italy. I rescued a wounded example and have turned it into boudoir cushions for sale but I want to research to be sure of its age and that it is what I believe it to be. I have already tested and confirmed its silk. I am struggling to find more than 1 example online or info. The pattern doesn't feel woven, its not printed and there were some areas with, what look like, light colour runs....I'll try and upload a photo. All input gratefully received. Thank you. DSCF7462.JPG DSCF7469.JPG DSCF7499.JPG

2. Distantdetails

Distantdetails Administrator

You have converted that into the most beautiful pillows!! They look so luxurious.

I'm afraid I can't help, but I hope that somebody comes along to provide some insight.

Lovely.

3. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Could it have been stenciled, or does it appear free-painted?

4. pomparella

Good question. I think if it had been stencilled, there would be more uniformity between the same shapes - unless of course the stencil has been designed that way....

5. pomparella

Thank you Janine. They are gorgeous and I'm struggling not to just keep them!

6. denisebrain

7. pomparella

Yes, there are. There was a central panel to the bedspread but the outer edge and corners show repetition. I've just read about theorem stencilling and it could well be an example of this...

8. pomparella

I've DSCF1540.JPG found an original photos of the piece when it was whole.

9. denisebrain

Yes, I can see this being stenciled. As to the time period, my first thought is early 20th century, but that is just a semi-informed guess. Do you have an era in mind?

10. pomparella

It initially had a 20s feel to me but the scrolled stylised 'bouquets' made me think its probably late 19th/turn of the century? The fringing on the 20s bedspreads seemed to be mainly from a fluffy velvet chenille where as this was long and twisted like a rats tail! Many thank btw DSCF1528.JPG

Distantdetails likes this.
  11. denisebrain

It is a pleasure to look at this!

I wish I could point you to a source for more info, but I'm coming up short myself.

12. pomparella

I appreciate your input, thank you. I'm conscious that I don't want to mis or under represent the fabric when describing the pillows.

denisebrain likes this.
  13. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Can you show the reverse side, please? My initial thought was also stenciled panne' velvet. I think early 20th century on this one.

14. pomparella

Hi there, this is the only photo I have of part of the reverse side. DSCF1547.JPG

amandainvermont likes this.