1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Antique Jacket - Help Identifying Label & Era

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by DaisyandStella, Jan 12, 2015.

1. DaisyandStella

DaisyandStella VFG Member

Hi all!
    I found an amazing antique jacket today and am having trouble decoding the label.
    The jacket is velvet with woven embroidered appliques and hand embroidered velvet at neckline and sleeve hems. It is tailored very nicely and the lining is silk with an inner silk pouch type pocket.
    The jacket has oval shaped notted closures. The bottom of the label looks to say "Work Shop of Worth" and directly above I can make out Man Tailored In .. and cannot quite make out the rest. The top part i cannot make out at all as there was an owner tag placed over top which took some of the threads with it when i tried to delicately remove to see the label.

Has anyone seen a label like this? I am thinking the coat could be 1910s to 1920s. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Brooke

Attached Files:

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Man tailored in the celebrated workshop of Worth.

With that highly fitted waist shape I don't think it was made past 1910's and I suspect it is earlier.
    I love the interior pocket. Does anyone know what it is for? a fan? handkerchief?

DaisyandStella likes this.
  3. DaisyandStella

Melanie does this then indicate Charles Worth? Or would older labels have used something like this in hand tailored garments?

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

1907-1908

5. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Alas Charles Worth died in 1895.

I think the top line read ABC Cloaks, luckily I think the damaged portion only contained the fancy underlining, as you can just see the beginning and end of the tail of the first initial either side.

If I read that correctly it may have been made by this company:
    http://newspaperarchive.com/us/wisconsin/grand-rapids/grand-rapids-tribune/1906/11-07/page-9
    ...Mr A.A.Walker representing the Alexander Black company of Toledo, Ohio, with their famous line of ABC Cloaks from the East for his second cloak sale here this season with an entirely new and up to date line of cloaks in black and mixtures in all the newest styles in cut and cloth...

6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

While we cannot authenticate a garment here on the VFG forums, after the late 1890s the House Of Worth was run by Charles' sons, Jean-Phillipe Worth and Gaston Worth. Any genuine Worth labels (and even the fake labels) I have seen in person or in books have the Rue de la Paix address of the establishment, etc...or the label has the word "Paris" woven into the label. There were exceptions to this, as in accessories and wraps which could often have simply the name "Worth" on the label. Of course, I am certainly not an authority, and am not familiar with every label Worth used, and even the Worth archives themselves are incomplete.

There were other establishments using the Worth name, in New York, and Boston, and in London. It is certainly possible that label is from one of those establishments.

It is a lovely jacket.

7. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I found another advertisement from 1905 for ABC cloaks that also mentions "Worth" Dress skirts.
    http://lowellledger.kdl.org/The Lowell Ledger/1905/10_October/10-12-1905.pdf

Here is a few more advertisements from the Dry Goods Reporter of 1906 which is mainly touting "A.B.C" cloaks and "Worth" skirts.
    https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=q5c7AQAAMAAJ&q="abc cloaks"&dq="abc cloaks"&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ZWu0VO2vFsz1UufagNAH&redir_esc=y
    The way they have placed both names in quotations suggests to me that it was an own brand name/line they stocked.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
    DaisyandStella likes this.
  8. DaisyandStella

Thank you all! Melanie those links are perfect!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015