1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Antique lace shawl - mid 19th century or earlier?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Lily K.Chadwick, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Lily K.Chadwick

Lily K.Chadwick Registered Guest

Hi! Given my particular ineptitude at pinning down dates for lacework, I was hoping you could please give me some help with a recent flea market find (a lengthy bobbin lace shawl- though I'm not quite sure what the name of this specific type of lace is). I've been leaning towards thinking it was mid 19th century, but have moments when I wonder if it could in fact be earlier?
    Thanks in advance for any help!

2. StitchesandSnags

StitchesandSnags Registered Guest

My initial impression was 1910~ 1920s but I am not an expert when it comes to lace garments.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That is beautiful. It appears to be a type of Brussels net lace. Very nice and a desirable lace right now for a lot of collectors.

What is the width and length of the piece? In the photos is looks a bit too narrow to be considered a shawl, but it is hard for me to really see the width. Dating from photos is difficult. But the size might give a clue.

It could be something made for a bride, either a long scarf to wear on her wedding day, or as part of her trousseau.

TaraIndia and StitchesandSnags like this.
  4. Swoon. My initial impression was Edwardian, as well, although I have no reason for thinking that other than 'gut reaction.'

StitchesandSnags likes this.
  5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I wonder if it could be considered Honiton lace. It is a lovely piece of lace.

6. I've seen similar lace shawls worn by '20s brides.

2776775063_dd25cfdd8b_b.jpg

StitchesandSnags likes this.
  7. Lily K.Chadwick

Lily K.Chadwick Registered Guest

Thanks so much to you all for your replies/help, it's so much appreciated! It just goes to show how much I have to learn (overall, but more specifically, when it comes to lace).
    When it comes to measurements, I have to admit to not having the piece at hand at the moment. From memory, it was around the 1.8/2m by 50/60cm mark.
    Lastly, Nicole, thanks so much for the photo. What lovely outfits!