Antique lace shawl - mid 19th century or earlier?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion Q & A' started by Lily K.Chadwick, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Lily K.Chadwick

Lily K.Chadwick Registered Guest

Hi! Given my particular ineptitude at pinning down dates for lacework, I was hoping you could please give me some help with a recent flea market find (a lengthy bobbin lace shawl- though I'm not quite sure what the name of this specific type of lace is). I've been leaning towards thinking it was mid 19th century, but have moments when I wonder if it could in fact be earlier?
    Thanks in advance for any help!

2. StitchesandSnags

StitchesandSnags Registered Guest

My initial impression was 1910~ 1920s but I am not an expert when it comes to lace garments.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix Trade Member

That is beautiful. It appears to be a type of Brussels net lace. Very nice and a desirable lace right now for a lot of collectors.

What is the width and length of the piece? In the photos is looks a bit too narrow to be considered a shawl, but it is hard for me to really see the width. Dating from photos is difficult. But the size might give a clue.

It could be something made for a bride, either a long scarf to wear on her wedding day, or as part of her trousseau.

TaraIndia and StitchesandSnags like this.
  4. Better Dresses Vintage

Better Dresses Vintage Trade Member

Swoon. My initial impression was Edwardian, as well, although I have no reason for thinking that other than 'gut reaction.'

StitchesandSnags likes this.
  5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing Administrator Staff Member

6. Circa Vintage

Circa Vintage Trade Member

I've seen similar lace shawls worn by '20s brides.

2776775063_dd25cfdd8b_b.jpg

StitchesandSnags likes this.
  7. Lily K.Chadwick

Lily K.Chadwick Registered Guest

Thanks so much to you all for your replies/help, it's so much appreciated! It just goes to show how much I have to learn (overall, but more specifically, when it comes to lace).
    When it comes to measurements, I have to admit to not having the piece at hand at the moment. From memory, it was around the 1.8/2m by 50/60cm mark.
    Lastly, Nicole, thanks so much for the photo. What lovely outfits!