1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any chance of dating these GA Dunn & Co men's gloves?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Retro Ruth, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Any chance of dating these GA Dunn & Co men\'s gloves?

They are so classic it's hard to know how to date them, except perhaps by the orangey plastic cover to the press-stud, which surely can't be earlier than 60s. But if anyone can help I'd be glad to get an idea of when these are from.

GA Dunn & Co, a gentleman's outfitters, had been around for ever (the earliest mention I've found is 1913, but I think they started before that), and closed in the early 90s. I get the impression they closed because they weren't cutting edge enough, so probably made old fashioned styles until the end.

It's a Newey Press-stud, which have also been around forever.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

Perhaps you have alread seen this but I found this blurb at thefedoralounge.com - while it does refer to hats, the second paragraphs talks about their logo and the last sentence could be helpful. The only thing is, these glove look newer than that to me...which means nothing! :)

George Arthur Dunn, born [March] 1865 was a Quaker and lived in Birmingham where he founded a millinery business in 1886. By 1901, I believe he was living in Hampstead, London listed in the census with the occupation “hatter” although this is a tenuous link. By 1911 I believe the same George Arthur Dunn he was living back in the countyside in St Albans Hertfordshire, so presumably, by this time he had ‘made his fortune’ in London and G. A. Dunn had become the major retailer we are so familiar with. He died in 1939 aged approx. 74.

It is my theory (purely speculative) that after George’s death, approx 1939/40, The G.A. initials were played down by the company more often the brand logo begins to appear as “Dunn & Co” sometime with very small G.A. initials within the ‘D’ of Dunn. By the 1960’s, the brand was firmly identified as Dunn & Co.

Sorry if you have already seen this...but thought I would share before I moved on and lost the thread.

3. Retro Ruth

I hadn't seen that, thanks very much!

I also thought they are probably newer than 60s, but perhaps not. The Newey stud is pretty old looking.

If anyone else has an opinion I'd be glad to hear it!

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I think of men's gloves with buttons or snaps at the wrist as 'old fashioned' and pebbled leather and sheepskin linings also strike me as more 40s or 50s in style.

5. Retro Ruth

Thanks too Jonathan. I didn't know the term pebbled leather.

Perhaps these are earlier then, which is rather exciting!

Ruth