1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any ideas on this screen printed cotton dress. 1993

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by wyogems, Jul 10, 2019.

1. wyogems

wyogems VFG Member

Daisy Kingdom / Poppy Damask? It is screaming Laura Ashley but no labels. Just posting because i find the hemline labels / selvage markings interesting and mysterious. lol

DSCF4133.JPG DSCF4165.JPG DSCF4169.JPG

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I bet it's a home made graduation or bridesmaid dress made from yardage intended for home furnishings. The name, date and print colour register are all along the selvedge. There were scads of these big jewel tone prints around then. There used to be a store in Toronto called B.B. Bargoons, and they sold yards and yards of these dark vaguely historic floral prints. Rooms full of ruffle edged tablesloths, bed skirts and curtains made from these Victorian-inspired printed cottons always reeked of potpourri!

laurenm likes this.
  3. wyogems

wyogems VFG Member

I don't think it is homemade
    I suppose its possible, but that would surprise me just because of the way it is put together.

4. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Don't know about construction but Jonathan's comment re: Pot Pourri (why isn't there a LOL icon??) got me thinking about that hyper feminine 80s floral trend. I wonder if it was a bit of a reaction to the cultural and fashion trend towards androgyny in the late 70s early 80s with it's punk sensibility?

Jonathan and wyogems like this.
  5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I always associate women who wore this look with doll collecting, royal memorabilia, and regular church attendance...

wyogems, GemGem and laurenm like this.
  6. wyogems

wyogems VFG Member

7. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

How about "Garden Re-appropriates Eve"?

wyogems likes this.
  8. wyogems

wyogems VFG Member

I was surprised with the use of damask. This is a heavy soft cotton. Not Damask so it must be what they are trying to imitate as a print.