1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any information in this 'Rebutex' label?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Lucieclare, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Lucieclare

Lucieclare Registered Guest

I am researching this dress as a part of my masters course - I cannot find out anything about the brand 'Rebutex' - so would greatly appreciate any information.

I know the dress was produced between 1946-1952 under the slightly mysterious 'luxury utility' or 'double elevens' government scheme. It is made from nylon, and was made in England.

Has anyone heard of Rebutex - or seen any other garments made by the same company?

Thanks!
    rebutex label.jpg

2. Lucieclare

Please excuse typo - 'on' this label, not in!

3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

4. tickeryboo

tickeryboo Alumni

i have some old wartime magazines and catalogues and i will have a look through them this evening to see if i can find any references for you

lorraine

5. Lucieclare

Thank you both!

6. tickeryboo

tickeryboo Alumni

i have been through every book, newspaper and leaflet that i have (had a great time browsing through and always see something i didn't see last time) but no sign of this label anywhere. but if i spot anything i will let you know.

lorraine

7. Lucieclare

Thank you Lorraine - I think they must just be one of those companies that have vanished into thin air! I will have to research all the other aspects of the dress instead. It is a very early example of a nylon dress so I am now trying to find similar styles in nylon to compare it with - and try and put an exact date on it also.

8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

That is the utility war time label under the rebutex one...so should be 1940s.

9. Retro Ruth

I've read Jonathan saying that Clothes Rationing stopped in 1949, so MJ is right, and this can't be as late as 1952 as you said in your original post. (Jonathan is one our members here and very knowledgeable about this subject)

10. Lucieclare

Clothes rationing ended in 1949 but the utility scheme wasn't ended until 1951/1952 - they were two different entities. The dress is most likely late 40's but more research is needed first!

11. Retro Ruth

Right!

I'm sure if you post pics here of the full dress, you can get some opinions on dating.