1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Pendleton Experts?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Satis House Vintage, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Satis House Vintage

Satis House Vintage Registered Guest

Hi All,
    I have a couple of men's short sleeve Pendleton wool plaid shirts that I am having trouble assigning a decade to. The combination of this particular style of Pendleton label (with no wool mark) alongside the washing instruction tag is perplexing me. Does anyone know when these labels were used in men's shirts? Thanks in advance.

Here are some photos of one of the shirts.
    bluepend1.jpg
    bluepend2.jpg
    bluepend4.jpg
    bluepend5.jpg
    bluepend6.jpg

2. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

Not remotely a Pendleton expert but does your shirt have extra collar lining?

I believe the matched pockets were discontinued by Pendleton sometime in late 40s or early 50s. I think that is also about the same time period they added the shirt size in the corner.

Even though garment care information wasnt required at that time, some companies did provide.

3. Hi Satis House Vintage and welcome to the forums.

I'm not a Pendelton expert either, but the label is similar to the '50s ladies label in the label resource and as you've pointed out there is no wool mark so perhaps it's late '50s-early '60s?

The "Wear with pleasure" is a nice and distinctive touch. I found the same label in on a late '50s-early '60s shirt on a London vintage fashion webshop so I think that's probably the date.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  4. I've dealt in a lot of Pendleton but still hesitate to call myself an expert, lol. I agree with what's been already suggested and want to add: what a great shadow-plaid shirt!

5. EndlessAlley

EndlessAlley Alumni

I find this article from the Gentleman's Gazette on Pendleton to be chock full of information.
    http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/pendleton-mens-plaid-wool-shirt/

The article state that size tags were not used in the 30s and 40s and it wasn't until the 1950s & 1960s that shirt tags began to display the size in the bottom right corner.

Hope this helps

6. Satis House Vintage

Satis House Vintage Registered Guest

Thanks for your input everyone! 50s to early 60s was my initial thought based on the Pendelton tag and the construction. The washing instructions seemed a bit more modern to me, especially the part about the dryer, as I had read in an article that electric dryers were fairly expensive in the 50s and out of reach for most households.

Alice, thanks for that very informative link, I have it bookmarked for next time.

Vintage Vendeuse, "shadow-plaid" is a helpful keyword that I hadn't thought of, thanks for that.

Nicole, the "Wear with pleasure" bit made me smile too.

Maureen, this shirt does have the extra lining inside the collar. Thanks for the info!

Thanks again everyone!

7. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

I do not think it is 60s but rather very late 40s into early 50s (I would probably put into the 50s category if I were listing on Etsy) based upon the matching pocket, the neck lining, and the label clues.

Make sure and use the term "Fireside Shirt" which you can also search via Google to get more info on this style.

Good luck - thank you for sharing your finds!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I love the care instruction label ending with "Wear with Pleasure"!

9. Alice, I ran across this wonderful Gentleman's Gazette piece while trying to research Pendleton a few weeks ago.....I had totally forgotten the Beach Boy connection to Pendleton! They originally called themselves The Pendletones!

EndlessAlley likes this.
  10. SusieQsie

SusieQsie Registered Guest

This top looks very modern, is this your own photography that is making it look this way?

11. Hi! This thread is from 2015 and the original poster has not been seen since then.