1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone ever heard of Fred Sklaar International?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Inkslinger, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Inkslinger

Inkslinger Registered Guest

I bought a leather jacket with this label but there is LITERALLY nothing on the internet about it. Not a mention anywhere. Strange. It's a camel colored and long; I'm six foot and it goes to just above my knees.

I posted a question on Yahoo answers and that day I got this response:

"Holy crap. My father was just cleaning out his garage and he gave me his old Fred Sklaar International leather jacket today! No joke, today and I was just googling to find something on the brand and your question came up.

The thing is awesome and he purchased it in 1978. He said he paid $800.00 for it at the time. I don't have any more info. besides the fact I am going to get it cleaned and wear it. Its camel colored. I am a girl, and its a guys jacket, but I don't care. It needs to be fitted a bit, but I love getting creative with clothes."

Anyone have any info on this? Thanks alot guys and gals!!

2. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Hi! I seem to remember seeing or maybe having had something once, a long time ago, with a label that just had "Sklaar" on it. Afraid that's all I know.... which doesn't help you in the least! But if you find more out, please post here to let us know! And I'm sure we would all love to see a photo! If you can show a pic of the coat and the label, perhaps it will jog someone's memory on the name.

3. Beshert

Beshert Registered Guest

That was my father's store! He owned Fred Sklaar International in Ann Arbor, Publix Store for Men in Southfield and in Warren. All Michigan. He dealt in high fashion/quality menswear. He travel to New York, London and Paris for buying. He is now 90 years old....and dressed impeccably of course!

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Thank you for letting us know about your father.

5. Klaam40

Klaam40 Registered Guest

Wow that is great to hear. I just came across my Dad's Fred Sklaar leather jacket in my basement closet and wondered about it. He lived in Livonia at the time. Unfortunately it doesn't fit so am going to put it up on eBay for someone else to enjoy.