1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone got a clue?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Lori Ammons, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Lori Ammons

Lori Ammons Registered Guest

This pin set is vintage, at least I've owned it long enough to call it vintage. I picked it up in a thrift store in the mid 90s. I do not believe it is sterling but the magnet is not attracted to it. It is a heavier metal. The subject matter is interesting as is the fact that it is a set. It does appear to be molded based on metal lines along the sides. I love it but I don't know anything about it. Anyone have any ideas. I don't see any signature on it. I refer to it as my Scarecrow and Mrs. King set..after the old 80's TV show...now you know I'm vintage too!

Attached Files:

2. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

My quick guess re: metal would be pewter, based on heaviness, not attracted to magnet, and look. But let's see what one of our jewelry mavens think.

Racked Vintage likes this.
  3. Lori Ammons

Pewter would make sense.

4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I think it's a period copy or "knock-off" in a base metal of a Trifari set from the 1940s. I believe it is "Nenette & Rintintin" from 1943 originally done in sterling with a gold wash (Vermeil) with red or green cabochon faces. If you Google it you will find other versions.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  5. Lori Ammons

Thank you so much! I've been wondering about this set of pins for 20+ years...and now I have a story to tell when people ask me about them. I really appreciate the info!

MyVintageCocktail likes this.
  6. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

Those are cute! And how cool that Linn has a similar pair!

7. Linn, you are exactly right. I've seen a good number of this Alfred Philippe design knockoffs. I have a pair and mine are in red. Trifari's will be marked. I've always called mine, "my little straw dolls".

8. Distantdetails

Distantdetails Administrator

Linn is correct, as usual. This Trifari pin set is a well-known design, and I feel very lucky when I can find it!
    Thanks, Linn. And Thanks to you, Lori, for your question!

9. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Actually, I don't have this set - I recognized it and copied the photo from a set that is available online. I do have this Trifari set from 1949 - Pom Pom and Tom Tom:

[​IMG]

10. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Seeing this made me think the name Rintintin must pre-date the famous German Shepherd dog who became a Hollywood star after WW1.
    I found this article from the National Museum of American History that tells the story. They were tiny good luck yarn dolls, that became the rage in France during World War 1. They were always to be given, not purchased, and the yarn link between the two ought never be broken.

Edited to add: and it turns out that the canine Rin Tin Tin had a sister who was named Nanette!

11. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Go Linn!! :cheer: You know so much about jewelry......

Maggie how interesting about the little yarn dolls. I think I had a few of those e over the years and never knew what they were.....

12. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

I know I've seen them in a 1940s novelty print in a few different colorways.
    download.jpg

13. Lori Ammons

14. Lori Ammons

What a rich history these two characters have!

15. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

Lori, thanks for asking this question here, I have learned a lot about these figures.

Racked Vintage and MagsRags like this.
  16. Racked Vintage

Racked Vintage Alumni VFG Past President

I love this thread! I learn so much here. This reminded me of a skirt I found a few years back and sold...if I only had this information then! Rats!

strawpeople.jpg download (29).png

17. Distantdetails

Distantdetails Administrator

18. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

27B21E11-F715-4096-8B88-A380A1CE3889.jpeg That’s interesting! I grew up in Eastern Europe with a tradition called Martenitsa. They were made of red and white yarn and we exchanged this girl/ boy martenitsas and in more modern days anything made of red and white yarn. You were supposed to pin them on your clothes and wear them until you saw a stork and then tie them to a budding tree. It has something to do with good health or something. I am terrible with traditions. Anyway they were called Pijo and Penda and they so reminded me of Nanette and Rin Tin Tin

19. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Lots of interesting info in this thread!

20. Lori Ammons

OMG...how sweet is that skirt! I love the design and the colors!