1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone know anything about Elaine Starkman?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by viviene, Jul 22, 2006.

1. viviene

viviene Guest

I purchased a suit of hers over a year ago. The skirt from the suit was never hemmed and the entire suit is in pristine condition. The label reads "Elaine Starkman, Bleecker Street, New York."

What I found out from looking around is that Mary of Peter, Paul and Mary worked for Ms. Starkman in her Bleecker Street Greenwich Village, NY boutique in the late 50s to early 60s. Ms. Starkman was one of the first Soho art gallery owners. For the longest time that is all that showed up on her. A few months later I googled her name again and an auction turned up of jewelry that Ms. Starkman had made. Still later a few months ago I found an auction of a pair of leather sandals that Ms. Starkman made. She seems to have been very talented in many different areas and mediums.

There is an Elaine Starkman that comes up on searches that is a writer and lives in California. I did email her to see if my Ms. Starkman is her mother or MIL but she never responded.

I purchased this suit because of the memories that Bleecker Street bring up for me. My grandparents owned a building in the village back in the late 50s-early 60s and they used to take me with them when they collected the rents (we lived in Putnam county, NY near West Point in a hamlet called Garrison). We would then go to lunch at Papa John's pizzeria.

Perhaps a silly reason to make a purchase but that is why I bought it. TIA for any assistance you can lend.

2. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

I think that's a great reason for buying a suit! And a very nice memory.. I would do exactly the same.

I'm afraid it doesn't ring any bells for me but hopefully someone will be along that does know a little more than I! :)

3. viviene

viviene Guest

Thanks a bunch. I do have it listed in my store but so far no takers. I find it fascinating to try to find out the history of something and this really has me hooked.

4. Melodies

Melodies Registered Guest

Just today I bought a very 60s top with an Elaine Starkman label. I'm glad I make it a habit to Google labels, or I never would have known the great story behind it! It has beautiful construction, and I'm in love with the rough cotton. The mandarin collar is so iconic. If you have any, I would love to see pics of the suit you found!

Attached Files:

5. Tom Mack

Tom Mack Registered Guest

HI!@ I knew Elaine very well. She was my landlady in GV. I know alot about her if you're still getting alerts from this post,. Thanks. It was nice to see this. I did a random search on Elaine. we lost touch after 2000.