1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone know anything about military capes?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by carla rey, Jan 5, 2018.

1. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

Hi!

I have this great military type cape and was wondering about dating this. Half length heavy boiled wool with black polished cotton lining. Name on the back of the neck is in gros grain ribbon. Covered buttons are from U B button co N.Y. with little stars like other military buttons. Velvet collar and front frogs? are haphazardly hand sewn so it may be a later addition.

LabelsandDetals-7264_RT.jpg LabelsandDetals-7265_RT.jpg LabelsandDetals-7266_RT.jpg CapeBlackWool-7213_RT.jpg CapeBlackWool-7215_RT.jpg CapeBlackWool-7218_RT.jpg

Thanks!

2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

That is so cool. No idea about its origin, but that is so cool! Is the name readable?

carla rey likes this.
  3. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

Thanks Maggie! Yes, it says H. Heath. The closest similar silhouette I've found so far are Nurses capes but those are navy from what I've seen. One possibility is someone added the embellishments to it after the war? It's wonderfully warm too!

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

That is lovely...I wonder if it may have been from a military school?

cmpollack and carla rey like this.
  5. Are you sure it is military? I had quite a few of black heavy wool capes from the Vict era. Very plain with only a large neck hook and eye.
    If you can, remove the collar and frogs. It detracts from the cape. at least collar does.

I can't get my hands on any as of now, since they are in storage and No way am i going into an unheated area when it is 12 degrees, lol

cmpollack and carla rey like this.
  6. Wonderful cape, Carla! I'm not sure if it's military, either. Velvet collar and such fancy cord frogs make me think otherwise, but it will be interesting to see what the experts here at VFG have to say. A garment can always be altered later and made to look less military for civilian attire.

carla rey likes this.
  7. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

Thanks everyone! I am not positive about it being military at all, the buttons were steering me in that direction. The collar and frogs were definitely added later.

8. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That looks very warm indeed. Can you show a button to us? What looks odd is the lining and label/labels are all the same shade of charcoal black. Usually this indicates the garment or parts of it has been either dyed or the garment was laundered and the colors ran. Is the lining a cotton sateen as it looks in the photo? Or is it a heavier fabric or satin?

This could be from a large costume company that catered to the theaters and also to masqueraders, Halloween etc. Back East, I used to come across more than my share of wool capes from theatrical costume suppliers.

carla rey and cmpollack like this.
  9. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

Yes Barbara the lining is cotton sateen. Here are some more photos.
    Photo Jan 08, 10 24 36 AM.jpg Photo Jan 08, 10 24 12 AM.jpg Photo Jan 08, 10 23 49 AM.jpg Photo Jan 08, 10 23 34 AM.jpg

10. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

It looks very much like a US Navy boat cloak. FDR wore one frequently.

hu002726.jpg

Here's one c. 1918:

radm-moffett-amundson-at-glakes-1918.jpg

11. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

Hey Hollis that's fantastic!!

12. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I agree with Barbara, the blackened name tape shows that it has been dyed black. So it could have been Navy previously, or it could have just been a top up dye.
    I can only make out AE on the label with certainty. I used to crop difficult to read labels and put them into photoshop and play about with settings - reversing the polarity for one usually helped, as did changing contrast levels. I might suggest it reads (Initial.) Graeme?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    carla rey likes this.
  13. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

14. I think Hollis is on the right track!

carla rey likes this.
  15. yumyumvintage

yumyumvintage VFG Member

I saw a cloak like this that belonged to a priest.

carla rey likes this.