1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aquascutum Men’s Trench Coat Year?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Ed Saunders, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Ed Saunders

Ed Saunders Registered Guest

7749F6F7-2AC3-435B-B8B8-6F1192756E0F.jpeg E5D40E55-C923-4895-8540-D82B4876947E.jpeg 1651FD02-12B4-4082-979E-B1B244D35221.jpeg C1A5FA1F-2EF7-4248-988E-EE8DFC3195E8.jpeg BA033ECF-BA79-4858-84B4-EDDC02295FE2.jpeg 200549E8-9FE4-4CB2-98C0-BBEB4C4C0EF0.jpeg Hello everyone,

Glad to be apart of this useful resource & forum!

I have a Aquascutum men’s long trench coat but am unsure on the year? After much Googling I keep landing on this forum so was hoping some of you might be able to help.

From the Aquascutum labels I have seen on here it looks like it could be 1960’s or 1980’s I’m thinking towards the latter but wanted some more professional opinions.

Any ideas?

2. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi,

I'm not sure it is a Trench design, possibly more along the lines of an Edwardian Frock coat?

3. Ed Saunders

That’s interesting thank you, I will do more research based on your answer.

Edit: I have researched that style and I think it’s a little early for this coat, it appears to be more of a ‘Peaky Blinders’ style?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  4. Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  5. Ed Saunders

Thanks for you reply,

The only care labels are the ones I have posted pics of..

6. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi,

I'm not saying it's Edwardian but to me it's not Trench either, it comes across as more Frock Coat design, see what others think.

7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It looks like a velvet collar. I refer to these as a "Chesterfield" style men's overcoat.

GemGem likes this.
  8. Ed Saunders

Thank you for that - does anyone have a rough idea of date at all?

9. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi Ed,

I'm taking a shot but think it early 70s going by the label numbers

It is after the 1950s because of the royal warrant.

It is such a great jacket and timeless in many ways, I can't see Trench but know Aquascutum lay claim to such a term.

10. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi Mary Jane,

Never heard of a "Chesterfield" overcoat so did a Google, it's close, really close, I live and learn.:)

11. Ed Saunders

Hey Avantbo,

Thanks for your reply, yes I was thinking in between 1960’s and 1980’s so the 70’s sounds perfect. And I agree wholeheartedly about the jacket, it has that timeless style like you say, that still looks classy and stylish today.

12. I, too, don't see anything "Trench" about it. I would have just called it a men's wool dress coat. :)
    As for age, it is, of course, post 1964 due to the Woolmark. I'm finding 1960s advertisements with the same "PURE NEW wool" font as on the tag you show, but haven't found out how long that font design was used.
    The following is a 1967 ad:

[​IMG]

Ed Saunders likes this.
  13. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

I'd call it a velvet collar covert or crombie coat. Not sure on dating I'm afraid.

Ed Saunders likes this.
  14. Ed Saunders

Thanks for all your information everyone, it’s really helped

15. I’d call it a covert coat too. The lack of detailed labels suggest mid to late ‘60s to me but this is a classic style that is still being made.

GemGem likes this.