1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are these "Leg of Mutton" sleeves? is there another term?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by LaurenMG, Nov 3, 2021.

1. LaurenMG

LaurenMG Registered Guest

Hey Everyone, I can't recall what the term is for these sleeves?
    Thanks for any help,
    Lauren

Attached Files:

2. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

I would call those Juliet sleeves.

3. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

4. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

I would go with Juliet on that particular dress.

LaurenMG likes this.
  5. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Interesting. Leg 0' mutton/gigot sleeves historically weren't cut ( like this one is) in 2 pieces with a top and bottom. The cut was all in one from wrist to shoulder, with a distinctly drooping shape above the fitted lower arm. That said, the leg o' mutton sleeve could also be cut as a two pieces vertically, with an inner or under panel and an outer sleeve, like a two piece suit sleeve.
    The style with the gathered puffed top and bottom ( horizontally seamed, upper and lower sections ) was also called a melon sleeve and sometimes ended at the elbow area, sometimes went fitted to the wrist.

Both types had in common big volume and an emphasis on shoulder width/height.

Due to the soft drape, small amount of volume and bicep length, I would also call this a Juliet sleeve. And a pretty effect it is.