1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arsenic green test kit?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by DaisyandStella, Mar 21, 2023.

1. DaisyandStella

DaisyandStella VFG Member

I have an 1850s/60s silk taffeta gown that I believe used arsenic in the color formation due to the darker and lighter imperfections. Has anyone ever tested a garment for arsenic? If so, I’d love a recommendation that hopefully isn’t too pricey.

Thanks!
    Brooke

16896DE5-8C8F-443B-967F-D17B53877A90.jpeg

2. Wow, I’ve heard this about old books found in green binding, but had no idea it applied to the fabric of vintage garments!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
  3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I did a quick search her on some old threads here as this subject has come up before.

One of our guests made mention of this book
    There is a very good chapter on arsenical greens in the book, Fashion Victims: The Dangers of Dress Past and Present, by Allison Matthews David.
    It also covers other poisonous textile dyes, mercury poisoning, flammable clothing and other dangers. It's a fascinating read if you are interested in that aspect of dress.

I found this article online as well about testing

Code:
    https://chemistry.stackexchange.com/questions/165082/i-need-to-test-fabric-for-arsenic-and-ive-found-141-year-old-guidance-is-it-l

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
    DaisyandStella likes this.
  4. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Here is the excerpt from the book Mary Jane pointed out that covers how they suggested testing for arsenic
    upload_2023-3-21_21-2-46.png

5. DaisyandStella

Thank you so much! I’m going to clip some fabric and test it!!

6. Lady Scarletts

Lady Scarletts VFG Member

That's a beautiful dress, Brooke. Let us know your findings.

DaisyandStella likes this.
  7. DaisyandStella

I will definitely let you know! The dress is currently in storage so when I get there over the weekend I plan to test it.