1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Artemis label slip (no Gossard)

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by forever52, Nov 20, 2020.

1. forever52

forever52 Registered Guest

Just trying to clarify information regarding Artemis label and confirm date of navy blue, full slip. I did not find a label for Artemis without the Gossard here on VFG. I am supplying pic of my garments label.

I found that Artemis and Gossard merged companies perhaps early 60's? VFG states Gossard is still in production yet I found a different source that Artemis is no longer in production so a bit confused on that.

From my research, I believe this slip is 1950's. Metal sliders for adjustable straps.
    Please confirm or correct my findings here and any more info on garment is appreciated, as always! art 1med.jpg art 3.jpg art 1med.jpg art 3.jpg art 1med.jpg art 3.jpg Thank you

Attached Files:

2. forever52

I will also quick ask about an ivory slip (Artemis), very similar in appearance as this one, but with a side metal zipper. 40's 50's?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  3. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

A November 8, 1962 article announced "The H.W. Gossard Co. has purchased the operating assets of Artemis, Inc., St. Louis manufacturer of lingerie." It added that Artemis would be operated by Gossard as a separate division known as the Artemis Co. I will see if I can find more about the latest status of Artemis.

Vintagiality likes this.
  4. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Thus far I found a 2008 reference to Artemis being out of production...will keep looking...

Vintagiality likes this.
  5. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Just an additional FYI: The 1996 obit for Richard K. Weil, 94, noted he was the president of Weil-Kalter Manufacturing Co., which later became Artemis Inc., which made lingerie. It added he sold the business in 1962, but there was no further information about Artemis in the obit.

Vintagiality likes this.
  6. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

A 1993 publication noted Artemis Inc was out of production at that time.

The last newspaper reference I found to Artemis lingerie was in 1978.

Vintagiality likes this.
  7. forever52

@ Ikranieri. Thank you so much for your time in providing that information. Very helpful in clarifying the merging of the companies.
    Not sure if the label I uploaded is useful to VFG, or if I need to add it to the labels thread, or if someone else does that, but hope it can help someone else out. The blue slip just sold and I had it listed it about 1950's

8. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Congratulations on the sale of your slip. I belatedly found additional information about it, which helps narrow the date. “IMAGE” (as you see on your label) was one of Artemis’ lines and I found ads for “Image proportioned by Artemis” (also as you see on your label) from 1949 to about 1951.

Vintagiality likes this.