1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article on identifying vintage clothing

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Vinclothes, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

2. victoryvtg

victoryvtg Registered Guest

I think the number of people who will truely want to wear actual vintage is pretty rare, outside of NYC and LA. But this influx, I think is ultimately a good thing ... although i do get frustrated by people who message me and then basically complain "it's too expensive".

3. Thanks Marian, some good tips there, although some of the dates are a little skewed (for example, we had Asian-manufactured garments in Australia from the '60s onwards, made in some cases by Australian companies who had set up workrooms in Hong Kong etc. I'm sure it was similar in the US and UK.

Retro Ruth and Vintagiality like this.
  4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Yes, Made in India on the label was common waaaay before the 90s. Ditto polycotton - many a 70s dress was made of polycotton.

It's great that they are giving some tips and promoting true vintage, but I find these kind of easy soundbite tips are often misleading. Working out whether something is vintage often takes more than these kind of generalisations.

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Ruth, I totally agree! I still think though that most people who truly want vintage will go for vintage not repro, and that doesn't matter much where they live.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I have to disagree, but in a friendly way. So SO many of us here on the VFG wear vintage and even antique clothing and accessories. I think there are more young men and women coming on board and wearing real vintage than ever before.

Midge likes this.
  7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I definitely wear a lot of my vintage as well, perhaps a bit less than when I had my own brick and mortar shop where I could just wear anything on any day. I use my jackets and coats, scarves and hats and gloves all the time...and of course jewelry.

MagsRags likes this.