1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bad boot lining help

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by eel, Apr 24, 2007.

1. eel

eel Registered Guest

I have several pairs of boots in which the lining has gone bad... powdery and/or sticky.
    Should I try just ripping it out or will whatever may be under there be worse than the lining? Most of them are leather so will the underside of the the leather be just as sticky as the lining?
    Anyone tried ripping the lining out?
    Has anyone had boot relined? can it even be done? is it expensive?
    I'd rather not put a huge expense into them as some are for resale.
    are there any tips for how to deal with this yuck?
    Thanks

2. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

It sounds like you have the dreaded 'devil dust', where the backing material has disintegrated. As far as I know there is nothing to be done. I have had boots in that condition that I just had to throw out. I don’t know if you could remove the lining, but that stuff is a health hazard, breathing in, skin irritant etc...

As for the sticky ones, I don’t think there is a fix for that either.

3. theopshoproc

theopshoproc VFG Member

Yeah I've had that too! If there's anything that can be done - i"d love to hear it too. But I think it's either too expensive or too much work to be worth it. :(

4. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Bad news. It does sound like the bonded lining is deteriorating. This happens on most bonded fabrics. There isn't anything you can do about it.

If you are sure they are leather rather than vinyl and that the bonded lining is actually separate from the leather, you can try removing the lining as you really have nothing to lose. Do it outside with a dust mask and gloves. That stuff is a hazard.

I would imagine having boots relined would be cost prohibitive if it's even possible. Just having basic sole and heel work done is pricey enough.

Hollis

5. msricenbeans

msricenbeans Registered Guest

Bad Lining

Well, I know exactly what you are talking about too. Don't you just hate that? I have to tell you that I have found something that works fairly well, not 100% but it's pretty darn good! Get a shop vacuum or just a strong vacuum with a good hose, and suck it out throught the linning. It works, try it! I'm glad to find out that it is hazardous though, I didn't know that! I'll be more careful in the future.
    Good luck!
    Sarah

[​IMG]

6. eel

eel Registered Guest

ya know I was thinking I could try vacuuming the powdery ones.... and now I surely will give it a shot, thanks