1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bag in Dial M for Murder

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Vintagepursegal, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Vintagepursegal

Vintagepursegal VFG Member

Hello! Hoping someone knows the maker of the red handbag in the Hitchcock film Dial M for Murder. The costume designer was Moss Mabry. Thank you!

2. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Do you have a picture of it you could post here? It's possible someone might recognize it.

Vintagepursegal likes this.
  3. Vintagepursegal

Sure! It's not particularly notable, except for the color. And, of course, how it's an important part of the plot! Here's a screenshot.

Attached Files:

4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Thank you, Wendy -

I don't recognize it but hopefully someone else will!

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Difficult to say. I know I have had a Koret bag that was similar in style to this one in the past.

6. Vintagepursegal

Thank you! I'll look through the Koret ads in the newspaper archives.

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  7. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Here's a closer look at the bag - the linked blog post is more interested in the art books the purse is sitting on, but shows them both pretty well.

The shape of the bag looks similar to a doctor's bag to me, but less structured on top.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  8. Vintagepursegal

Thank you! Can you please repost the link? It didn't work for me. Someone suggested Evans, as they made one in a similar shape, so I'm looking into that. Also trying to locate someone who has a connection to Moss Mabry, who passed away in 2006. Clearly, I get a little too involved when I do purse research! :)

9. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Fixed!