1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bakelite or Wood?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Vintagealways, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Vintagealways

Vintagealways Registered Guest

IMG_0661.jpg

I have not seen a mahjong bracelet like this before. The tiles are strung on elastic as usual, but the tiles seem to be made out of something other than bakelite. You can see a type of grain or striation on them. The bracelet is also lighter weight and the tiles are thinner than I am used to seeing. They also are not the butterscotch color, they are more of a cream color. Any ideas on the date for this unusual piece? Pre or post 1940s? Is is a rarity? This pic here shows the thickness.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Nice bracelets. It would be helpful to see a close up of one of the pieces. They almost look like bone to me.

3. Vintagealways

Will try to post a close-up. Having some technical difficulties. It did cross my mind that it could possibly be bone. Is it mahjong tiles?

4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Probably bone and yes, mahjong tiles.

5. Vintagealways

I have usually seen these in bakelite. Is is unusual to find them made from other materials?

6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Yes, since the Chinese have been using them long long long before Bakelite was invented.

7. Vintagealways

Then perhaps it is only possible to date this piece by the use of elastic? You think maybe 1940s or '50s?

8. Rue_de_la_Paix

I am not an authority on these bracelets, but had quite a number of them back in the late 80s and early 1990s. Mine were all Bakelite, the individual pieces were probably from the 20s and 30s but made into bracelets at the time when the Bakelite frenzy was still going strong.