1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Those are fabulous! Seeing them side by side, you can see they aren't completely identical. One has three brass leaves, and one four, and the bakelite carving is slightly different. I think this makes them even more wonderful, that they were individually made.

foofoogal likes this.
  2. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

How great are those! Really nice score Andrew -- serendipity was yours!

Adorable deer pin Linda. There's a member here who has a collection of Martha Sleepers with original hang tag. How I would love to find (and afford) one. ;)

3. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Actually the other bracelet had four as well; you can see the stalk point where it was either broken or removed (to match the broken side?) and the 2nd leaf moved over to cover the gap. They also have the same weld? spots above the largest leaf, indicating they were made in the same production line.
    This may be far out, but I wonder, considering both leaves are missing, if the bakelite was broken, and to replace it someone had to bend or break two of the leaves in order to insert a replacement?

I like how, even though one was polished or rubbed, they match in tone over the most visble area. I would love to see these worn with bare arms and a long grecian goddess style gown. At least, that's how I'd wear them!

4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Well spotted Melanie!

5. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Nice collection of Blanks, Linda. If you're carving, you'll be doing so outside and wearing a professional respirator mask, yes? You don't want any residue on your clothes, or tracked inside, or near any pets. :USETHUMBUP:

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Great gift!!! That is amazing! The necklace is lovely too, very well done for a reproduction.

7. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

I just bought this very pretty set. The lady I bought it from said it was 1950s and that the heart pendant was bakelite. I am a little confused as I didn't think bakelite was ever in a colourless transparency. I was wondering if it has some original elements but been repurposed? It does seem odd to have diamante, pearl and bakelite all together?

thumbnail_IMG_4579.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4580.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4578.jpg

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    foofoogal likes this.
  8. Marzilli_Vintage

Marzilli_Vintage VFG Member

That's probably Lucite, which was a very popular plastic used in millions of pieces of jewelry in the 1940's and 50's. It was and is used for many things, from jewelry, purses and small decorative objects to full sets of dining room furniture.

GemGem likes this.