1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BALENCIAGA COUTURE!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by louise, Oct 21, 2006.

1. louise

louise Registered Guest

Hey folks;
    Just got this amazing Balenciaga Couture gown. I'm having problems dating it though. I'm thinking mid 1950's from the books I've read on Christobal. Is Balenciaga rare, in comparison to the other big wigs (ie; Chanel, DIor, etc)?
    Thanx

2. hatfeathers

hatfeathers VFG Member

I've found Chanel and Dior even in my little midwestern 'burg, but never Balenciaga.....do post a pic!

Jenn

3. louise

louise Registered Guest

BALENCIAGA COUTURE

Hey folks;
    Just got this amazing balenciaga couture gown, I'm guessing from the mid 50's from the books I've read on Christobal. Does anybody know how rare Balenciaga is in comparaisson to Dior, Chanel, etc?
    Thanx

4. louise

louise Registered Guest

Bal pic

pic

5. louise

louise Registered Guest

pic

pic

6. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

It's wonderful!

7. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

Oooh congratulations you - fantastic find!! I would say rarer. (My hopes of finding one:nonexistent)

8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Oh my! Oh my! Those sleeves are fantastic! Superb gown!

Are you planning to sell it online or show it to a good auction house???

9. louise

louise Registered Guest

Well I think I'm going to keep it in my shop for a bit and maybe do a 30 day auction on ebay with buy it now. I don't know what to put it at. Any suggestions? I've never seen such superb construction. In the rear there are large weights all sewn into the base of the bodice and it is the heaviest silk jaquard all lined in silk chiffon. It's numbered aswell in behind the couture label. It's my baby right now!

10. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

What is the number on the reverse? I have several books on Balenciaga and might be able to figure out a date if I get a chance to look it up. It looks early 60s to me with the skirt shape, sleeve length, large pattern damask and heavy bobble fringe.

11. louise

louise Registered Guest

number

Hey Jonathan; Wow that would be great if you could look it up for me, the number is 79311. What is the name of the book? Can it tell about all couture serial numbers? I want these book that you have!!!!
    Thanx again
    Louise

12. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I have a couple of books on Balenciaga and there are fashion sketches, some of which are numbered so if in a freak chance one of those sketches correlated I could find the date, but alas, that was not the case. However, I did find a cocktail dress with a jacket with heavy bobble fringe from 1962 which was similar to this so 1962 is a good bet.

There is no book that lists the numbers for each collection, although that would be a dream if it did exist. I don't know where the Balenciaga archives are. The Dior archives are complete and they did keep records of all dress designs with their numbers but it takes a lot of luck and cajolling to get into their archives to see those records as they are open only to scholars of dress history. Some archives have been disbanded, like Mme Gres and Jacque Fath -- scattered to the wind and exist in various collections private and public and it will be impossible to get the information back again into one place. Its too bad because you would think that Paris would have a central archives for couturier history but there isn't even a decent costume museum in Paris! Well, Musee de la Mode, but they rarely do any exhibitions of any value or history.

13. louise

louise Registered Guest

Wow thanx for all the good info, I really appreciate it! In your opinion, is Balenciaga more rare than Dior or Chanel? I'm in Toronto and I have a shop at 180 Avenue Rd., you're more than welcome to come by and check it out if you're ever in town.
    Thank-you again

14. poppysvintageclothing

Hi Louise,

I would be more apt to let it at least run in an ebay auction rather than a buy it now price in your ebay store...it may fetch better money for you that way, if two people really want it you may do better. Just put your reserve on it so you are safe with that.

15. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

In Canada, Dior was definately more popular and is easier to find, partly because of the Dior Holt Renfrew label but also because Dior was the darling of fashion journalists in the 1950s and was reported on constantly in magazines and newspapers, plus Dior was an excellent promoter of his clothes. Alex Palmer wrote in her book Couture and Commerce about couture clothes and their availability in TOronto in the 1950s and 1960s. If you haven't read it, its a worthwhile book to have in your library.

Chanel was popular too but it was really for her boxy suit in the late 1950s - 1960s that made her fame. Balenciaga was certainly popular but not as much as Dior. I guess I would say his clothes are more rare simply because his clothes weren't as popular or as available as Dior's were originally but he was still sought after at the time. Also, Balenciaga closed up shop in 1967 so you don't find newer items from Balenciaga like you do Dior or Chanel.

I will definately check out your shop next time I am in TO.

16. poppysvintageclothing

Hi Louise,

If I find a little time to spare I might try and come and have a visit, I'm coming in for a wedding on November 3rd.

Are you open on Friday evenings or by 11:00 a.m. Sunday at all?

17. louise

louise Registered Guest

My hours are Mon-Fri. 10-6 Sat 10-5 and Sun 12-5, I hope you can make it in!

18. poppysvintageclothing

Perchance to visit

Hi Louise,

We are leaving today for Ottawa and will get to TO sometimes tomorrow...I will try and see if we can possibly make it in...

Bye for now and tks for sending along your hours.

MJ

19. BagDiva

BagDiva Guest

l'llt akea peek in my balenciaga books, this gown looks familiar, pehaps lve seen it before?