1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beaded Flapper Dress!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by catwalkcreative, Feb 19, 2010.

1. I just wanted to share some photographs of this divine beaded flapper dress from the mid 1920's. It's come from my father-in-law who's collected antiques and linens for years and years. He told me about this dress at Christmas and would I be interested in it - is the Pope Catholic????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is some damage to the netting fabric underneath the arms, probably caused because of the weight of the beading. I'm looking into having the dress restored because it's generally in fabulous condition as you can see.

It's been carefully stored in acid-free tissue paper. Unfortunately my F-I-L doesn't know the history of the dress as he purchased it from a vintage dealer some 25 years ago. I can only imagine the wonderful lady that wore it. I would love to know what parties this dress has been to. If only it could speak! . . . . .

2. wire9vintage

wire9vintage Registered Guest

That is eye-popping! What a gem and what a sweet father-in-law!

3. Thank you very much. Yes, I must admit my FIL has been very generous indeed. I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming. :dreaming:

4. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

:bouncy: WOWOW!! now THAT'S one super-sweet FIL!!!!!!

gorgeous. breath-taking. stunning. WOW!!!

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It's a beauty! and what a nice F-I-L! You two certainly have something in common.

6. Thanks for your lovely comments. :sunshine:

7. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

WOW!!! What a beauty!!!

What a great FIL you have!!

Sue:)

8. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Lucky you! All my FIL collected was old car parts and watch-making magazines!

9. bluevelvetvintage

bluevelvetvintage VFG Member

That is one exquisite dress. How fortunate for you your FIL saved that so you could enjoy it.

You lucky, lucky girl!

Theresa

10. TinTrunk

TinTrunk Registered Guest

Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous!! :adore:

You certainly have a very special FIL :)

And sorry I haven't been able to track down that conservator yet - the museum curator is super busy right now but I will get the details for you asap!

Sarah

11. hehehe! His son's not bad either! :drinking2:

12. Oh my! That dresses is just heavenly!!:drooling22: I know exactly what you mean when you say you wish it could speak. Can you just imagine stories!! I know I can. I could probably make a plenty of fictional stories up in my head looking at a dress like that and speculating on its owner.

And I agree. what a fabulous and thoughtful FIL!

Thanks so much for sharing it with us!!!

13. Thanks Amber. :) She must have been very wealthy and probably only wore it once or twice. I can't get over how immaculate the bead work is.

I've been told it might be French but I've not had time to look inside the dress properly. I believe there would sometimes be a tiny label inside stating 'Made in France'.

I'm hoping it can be repaired but have no idea how much it's going to cost.

14. Sorry Sarah! Missed your post there. There's no rush. I've wrapped it carefully. I appreciate any help or advice. :)

15. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

WOW - is an understatement! Lucky you!!!

Linn

16. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Thud. That is amazing. The pastel sequin flowers, the design ... how great.

17. vintagedevotion

vintagedevotion VFG Board Member

That is one spectacular dress. Oh to have a FIL that collects antiques and linens! How wonderful for you!

18. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

19. Now that is incredible! Wow...I mean, just...wow. :jawdrop:

20. Thanks everyone! :) Yes, the dress is pretty heavy so I think that's what caused the damamge underneath the arms. The weight of the dress must have pulled the fabric. You can't see any damage from the front or back. It's still wonderful and the colours are vibrant.

It must have taken so long to make. I can't imagine how much a dress like that would cost to make today.