1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beautiful “new to me” coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Kristy A Hawkins, May 18, 2022.

1. Kristy A Hawkins

Kristy A Hawkins Registered Guest

Hi everyone! I’m just wondering if anyone is able to tell me anything about this coat I purchased from Facebook marketplace. I absolutely love it. It has the tag Blin(m)? & blin(m) inside the front of it & the tag Ipanema on the collar.
    Many thanks for any info!

Attached Files:

2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

3. poisson_rouge

poisson_rouge Registered Guest

It looks like Blin & Blin closed in 1975. There's a contemporary French brand "Ipanema" but I don't think it's the same as your coat.

4. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Interesting design, with the external pleating to shape it - I think those are called cartridge pleats.

5. Kristy A Hawkins

Here are a few more photos..

Attached Files:

6. poisson_rouge

poisson_rouge Registered Guest

It looks like it was relined at some point? The stitches on the size and care tag are inverted. Does the handwriting say "chenette"? Interested to hear what others say on this.

7. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Such an interesting design!

I don't think I've ever seen a coat like that, but it makes me think of the 1980s most of all. However what @poisson_rouge said about Blin & Blin would indicate this is from the 1970s. The sewn-in care tag requirement dates from 1972 in the US.

8. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Blin et Blin was a textile manufacturer so I can totally see if another company which had purchased a supply before the closure created the coat later

9. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

denisebrain and MagsRags like this.
  10. Kristy A Hawkins

From what I can see, it says Chincilla on the label. The lining has been repaired in parts, but it also appears to have a design on it, which is really hard to capture in a photograph..

Attached Files: