1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beautiful 80s Valentino dress- real or home sewn??

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Ellen Croteau, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Ellen Croteau

Ellen Croteau Registered Guest

IMG_4293.JPEG 6FA2D1EB-2844-458E-891A-EF862ABF4128.jpeg IMG_4268.JPEG Hello all,
    I recently bought a beautiful jersey velvet dress with white beading at an estate sale. The one tag is a Valentino Boutique tag. However, there is no 'made in italy' tag, no lining, and the seams are finished by overlock stitch. The beading is sewn onto separate pieces of velvet, which have then been stitched onto the dress. I did notice quite a sewing center in the basement of the estate sale... DO you think this is a home-sewn, possibly[with a Valentino pattern?
    How common is it for people to stitch in the label of famous designers? The house was very fancy and a Valentino dress did fit in there. In any case-- what do you all think?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  2. Ellen Croteau

Ooh, I forgot to say, it also came on a Valentino hanger!

3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

That's a nice find! We cannot authenticate items here, however, Valentino Boutique is a ready to wear line, so not the same as couture, so I don't see overlock stitching as out of place. Is the fabric stretchy? In that case the, overlocking makes sense (and that may also be why it wasn't lined). As far as I know, the designer sewing patterns, which are usually by Vogue (and they have done Valentino too in the past), never came with a label with the designer's name. What you could get was a Vogue label, that said "Vogue Original de Paris" for example. Also, those didn't come with a size tag :). So the label, if it wasn't original to this dress, could only have come from another garment. It's hard to see the stitching in your photo - I can't say if that's original or not. I own a Valentino Boutique item with the same label and same type of size tag, and it also has a care label and the Made in Italy label. Maybe your dress had them and they were removed? Is that a little bit of loose stitching to the right of the label in you photo? Might something else have been attached there?

Vinclothes and Vintagiality like this.
  4. Ellen Croteau

Oh, how lovely to hear all that. And yes, there are some stitches to the right of the tag! Well, that's all nice to know! Thank you so much for your answer, Karin!

Midge likes this.