1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beautiful Vintage Early 1900's? Black Silk & Lace Asian Embroidered Blouse

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by msricenbeans, Jun 28, 2010.

1. msricenbeans

msricenbeans Registered Guest

Beautiful Vintage Early 1900\'s? Black Silk & Lace Asian Embroidered Blouse

Thank you all for your help dating these early pieces from this collection. I am learning a lot about the earlier time periods as well as finding out I'm not completely out there with my early dating!

GORGEOUS early 1900's do you think? Black Silk w/Lace underneath, this piece has an unusual belt that closes in the back (I believe this is how it goes). The piece has a built in lace under layer which closes with hook and eye at the bodice. Then the silk over lay which is embroidered with Asian like flowers snaps from the shoulder down the right side of the piece and the snaps are covered with buttons. The high neck has wire in it for stiffness and this area closes with hook and eyes.

Thank you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

THe pleating the back that extends over the buttocks, the self belt, tiny buttons, assymetrical design, and black chiffon pointed panels on the front are all late Edwardian 1910s features, but the high neck is pre 1912ish in design and just not in fashion when the other features are around. For that reason I think its custom made item in a fashionable au courrante style from about 1914-15 but for an older woman who has retained the high collar to define her neck and jawline.

3. msricenbeans

Jonathan,

All I can say is wow, your knowledge never ceases to amaze me. Thank you!

4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Hi,

I love a fashion "mystery" and watching someone solve it! I also saw mid 'Teens or there-abouts at first glance, but that high collar had me doubting everything I thought I knew. I decided to not even comment on this one.

As usual, Jonathan to the rescue!

I love those tiny side snaps and "buttons"....simply gorgeous. How long did it take to put this thing ON? Oh well...I'll call my lady in waiting for assistance....right.

Babette

5. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Hi,

I just wanted to add...since what you have shared with us all so far is GORGEOUS...might I ask if she had any hats? I'd love to see . Be still my heart!

Barbara

6. msricenbeans

Thank you, yes she has lovely interesting pieces. She has a whole hat collection and has done a " History of Hats" lecture for the past 35 years in which she takes out her hats and uses them for props. I haven't seen them yet, but am looking forward to hearing her lecture. I don't think she wants to part with her hats!

7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

The other possibility is that it is an older blouse that was updated c. 1914/15 with additions of all the bits I mentioned earlier... If the back of the blouse is added over the net lace blouse then that is probably what happened.

8. msricenbeans

The silk on the back of the blouse is over the lace but so is the rest of the silk. If it had been an earlier piece added to, would the original back just have been the lace?

9. I agree with Jonathan that it may be an earlier (1900s) piece that was updated - this was often the case, and fashions changed rapidly during the first couple of decades after 1900.

How does the sash look around the front? If it is a 1900s bodice, securing it to the front may produce the distinctive "pigeon pouter" look of the time. If you look at the buttons you should be able to see which is the "right" way up and that should show which side they should hang to.

It's a really elegant piece: the delicate effect of the spotted tulle with lace and silk overlays is just beautiful.

N

10. msricenbeans

Fascinating! Well the sash comes from the front, so the only place to fasten it would be in the back, but it does hang low...curious. I love it, I think it is so delicate!