1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best costume design --- who should win

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Jonathan, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

The Academy Award nominations for costume design were announced (along with all the other nominations) this morning, so I just posted my fourth annual blog prediction (and I have been right every year so far....) Check it out:
    http://kickshawproductions.com/blog/?p=2768

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

You've been busy with your blog, Jonathan! Interesting choices, this year I haven't seen even one of those films. Sad but true!

3. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

I hope Michael O'Connor wins. I agree with you about the costuming for A Single Man but WE isn't that film (apparently not even close, as Single Man was brilliant on so many levels), so Phillips shouldn't win, especially from the other info you uncovered about the costumes.

4. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Why not? It's more plausible than some theories out there (but I also believe a UFO did crash at Roswell and that Oswald was a patsy, so I might not be the best judge...)

6. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

:hysterical:

Seriously, though, Shakespeare WAS a Jewish woman... :USEROCKY:

7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

But I was serious -- I really DO believe a UFO crashed at Roswell and that Oswald was a patsy!

cotmyey likes this.
  8. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I loved loved loved Jane Eyre, so I hope that wins. I'm hopefully going to see The Artist this weekend, really looking forward to that.

(I'm with you on Oswald, Jonathan)

9. I'd like to see Jane Eyre win too - and I love the menswear from that era. I haven't seen it yet but oh, I don't get to see as many films as I'd like to these days.

Did anyone see "Eye of the Storm"? Australian film, I had lots of vintage in that.

Saw "Tinker Tailor, Soldier Spy" the other night - very nice production design and costumes. Hard to fault. What's not to love about a lot of nice three piece Savile Row suits?

I really loved "A Single Man", it was my favourite film of last year.

10. Retro Ruth

Yes, I thought the costumes and sets for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy were excellent, too. A very good film all round.

11. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I was surprised TInker Tailor Soldier Spy wasn't nominated. I haven't seen it yet, but the stills from it show an excellent costuming job...

12. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

Nicole, you must see Jane Eyre, it is wonderful. Tinker Tailor is wonderful too.

Going OT here ~ But I have to say the film I loved the most of the recent ones I have seen is Dragon Tattoo. I was a fool for the books & as much as I enjoyed the Swedish films I absolutely loved David Fincher's version.

13. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Ditto!

MS--thanks for the positive review of Dragon Tattoo. It's good to know that a version without Noomi Rapace is worth seeing!

14. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Hello,

Great post Jonathan! From the nominated films, I have only seen "The Artist". The costumes in that film were good, but not what I would call impressive enough for a nomination. Some of it looked like stage costumes, not always like actual clothing worn in the late 1920s and early 30s, but they were nice to look at. I think they may have been intended to purposely have a look of film costume-y look to them, done to follow the theme of the film. Much of it looked like a "film within a film within a film" kind of thing.

I will try to see a few more films before Oscar day.

15. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

That's the vibe I was getting Barbara from the stills I saw of The Artist. Its almost like they purposefully didn't try to recreate a 20s film? The leading girl would not really have been considered beautiful in the late 1920s - her face is too angular and her features too large, and her legs too skinny. When I think of 20s beauties they are petite, 20 pounds heavier than what we would consider the right weight today, and had round faces with small features.

16. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

17. I love '20s and '30s beauties, they're sweet and gentle like roses!

Films like "Tinker Tailor" often get overlooked for costume awards because they're short on fanciness but they're a great challenge to a designer when you have such strong limitations. My feeling is that when the costume designer does a great job, you barely notice the costumes, all you see is a great characterisation.

I'm dreading "The Great Gatsby" and what Baz Luhrmann will do it it - the photos I've seen make me queasy. Have you seen Isla Fisher as Myrtle?

ISLA-FISHER.jpg

Source.

18. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Uh oh.... I hate to say it but I could barely stand watching Australia. I think Baz may have peaked with Moulin Rouge at the start of his career....

19. I couldn't see Australia, even though I have costumes in it. The temptation to see Nicole Kidman wearing it wasn't enough, once I saw the trailer it just put me off it.

I'll go earlier: I liked Romeo + Juliet but thought Moulin Rouge needed a lot of editing. It just had too much going on for my liking - some scenes were like being in a washing machine.

20. Retro Ruth

Yes I had similar thoughts. It wasn't really billing itself as a period piece, the 1970s setting was almost incidental. It did get a BAFTA nomination for costume (and pretty much everything else).

Here's an interesting interview with the Tinker Tailor costume designer, and lots of stills:
    http://www.gq.com/style/profiles/201201/tinker-tailor-soldier-spy-costume-design#slide=1