1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best description for style of this 1970s (I’m guessing) dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Impey, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

Hi all

any ideas about how best to describe the style of this 1970s (guessing) dress.

At first I got over excited and thought it might be a 60s ‘mod’, but then realised the shape was wrong - not really ‘shift’ like.

I’m wondering if it’s a ‘Chanel-esque’ look they were going for, particularly given the french imagery on the label.

for context, the original owner would have been in their 30s in the 60s, so 40s in the 70s...

what do people think? It’s a pretty dress, if very plain...and of an odd material

best wishes

Impey

Attached Files:

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I would also say early 70s like your other dresses. I don't see Chanel-inspired particularly, but it reminds me of a some patterns I've sold, which thanks to the pattern magazine I've been able to date to 1970 - that contrasting/piping:
    Ringier 4594_2.jpg ringier14.jpg

There's more in the magazine in the same vein - I've uploaded it here: https://vintagepatterns.fandom.com/wiki/Modes_Ringier_Spring/Summer_1970

GemGem likes this.
  3. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

Midge likes this.
  4. SusieQsie

SusieQsie Registered Guest

Definitely looks very sporty 70s to me, almost like a preppy sailor vibe. It reminds me of some of the outfits the girls wore from the 70s Schwinn catalogs.

Retro Ruth and GemGem like this.