1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best find ever - full Ringier pattern catalog

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Midge, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

You all know my "thing" for vintage Ringier patterns. Probably the biggest publishing company in Switzerland, they also produced sewing patterns from at least the 1930s to the 1970s. There's no information to be found about them online, but one of the first vintage patterns I ever bought was a Ringier and I have acquired a lot of them since I've been selling vintage patterns online, so I have been trying to find out as much about them as I can.
    I have a nice collection of their "Journal de mode" - as I understand it, these pattern magazines were published bi-annually and sent out to subscribers of certain Ringier magazines (as a subscriber, you could buy the patterns at a discount). They have about 40 pages and show the "best" stuff - 90% women's wear, with some childrens patterns and about a page of patterns for "useful" basics like aprons or slips. But I have had patterns that I've noticed were never shown in the magazines - menswear, toys etc.
    Well, I have now found a better insight into what Ringier really offered! A seller from which I have bought several of the magazines some time ago had a whole Ringier catalog listed - of course I had to have that. I picked it up from the post office today and was just blown away! At first I was suprised at the weight of the parcel - turns out the full catalog, that was probably made for use in stores, is 132 pages - so more than triple of the magazine! Also made for bi-annual publication. What I got here is the spring-summer 1953 catalog. Having the magazine of the same date as well made it for a good comparison. The catalog has everything really, lots more women's wear, more bridal and evening, pages of aprons and lingerie, sportswear, anything for babies and children, a good selection of menswear, basics, accessories, toys, doll clothes... there's nothing that Ringier didn't have a pattern for!

ringier5.jpg ringier6.jpg
    The first pages with all the day dress patterns were also in the magazine and made up about half of that.
    ringier7.jpg
    Maternity patterns - almost never to be found in the normal magazines
    ringier8.jpg
    Lots more envening and bridal patterns - these are super rare to find, so it's nice to know that they were around.
    ringier9.jpg ringier10.jpg
    Just blouses!
    ringier11.jpg ringier12.jpg
    So much sportswear!
    ringier13.jpg ringier14.jpg
    These accessories and basics patterns were nevern shown in the magazines.
    ringier15.jpg ringier16.jpg
    I have actually had the elephant and giraffe patterns.
    The doll and dog on the top left were sort of the mascots of the the publishing company - Ringgi and Zofi (as in Ringier was located in the town of Zofingen). Ringier published children's books with their adventures. And here's the patterns to make them as toys - a clever bit of cross-marketing!

2. Midge

I think that most of these catalogs and magazines probably went that way... I never have any competition for buying these when I find them in online auctions. They are such a great resource!

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

4. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

5. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Heaven on a silver platter! Congrats Karin!

6. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Congratulations, Karin. It's fabulous.

7. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

Congrats Karin and thank you so much for sharing your amazing find!

8. Midge

By looking through one of the other magazines, I saw that some patterns were of course also carried over from the previous year - some of those evening and wedding gowns are already shown in the spring/summer 1952 magazine. That gives me a much better idea of how they worked. I knew that some of the "basics" patterns were carried over, but some of the high fashion ones too.