1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best place to find Vintage Fabrics.

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Christian Orozco, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Christian Orozco

Christian Orozco Registered Guest

First off, my name is Chris. I'm a fabric scout for a friend that makes wrestling masks for wrestlers. I have traveled as far as Japan to look for good good favrics to use, and Yes....you read that right. Wrestling.

While it may seem a little silly to some of you. It's actually a buisness that dates back to the late 1930s. Masks back then were made of Suede. They were very ugly and uncomfortable, But during the boom of Wrestling In Mexico during the 1950s all kinds of fabrics were being used.

During the 1970s that's when Strech Lamay Fabric, and Terlenka Fabric became super popular. Which brings me to my question . Where can I find vintage fabric for making masks?

I've gotten lucky here in Los Angeles and have found a few yards of Green, and Red Terlenka a mom & pop fabric shop in Montebello, California had in the back. Thanks in advance for any tips that might help me finding fabric for this hobby/job. Thanks

Ps. I've added a picture of a mask using vintage 70s striped Terlenka with Leather applications.
    IMG_20180821_095841_168.jpg
    (this mask is from the 1980s)

GemGem likes this.
  2. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Such an interesting question and topic -- and great history that you've provided as well. I like the clever use of the eagle as a design element.

Hopefully some folks in the area can provide a few solid leads, and bumping this.

3. This is very interesting, indeed! I'm of no help, I'm afraid, but if I hear of a resource, I'll certainly let you know.