1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SultryVintage

SultryVintage Registered Guest

I apologize if this topic has been brought up over and over, I can't seem to get a good answer! What do you ladies recommend for a really good steamer? I need something thats effective on a wide range of fabrics, I don't necessarily need industrial and crazy expensive, just works well. Scanning amazon reviews is pointless because half of them are reviews in exchange for a discounted price - worthless. It can be a travel size, or a stand up, don't really mind either, looking to keep it under $60. Thoughts? What's you're fav?

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I love my Jiffy steamer but these are not at the price range that you have noted.

3. SultryVintage

ahhhh bummer. I'll look into it though. Thanks!!

4. sues*stuff

sues*stuff VFG Member

The Sweethome website does really extensive analysis of items they review and they recently did steamers. You should read the article. I just bought the $30-ish one they recommended but I haven't used it yet.

5. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Jiffy Steamers are by far the best. It is worth the investment for the quality and durability you will have with Jiffy. Every cheap brand I have ever used are rubbish in comparison.

carla rey likes this.
  6. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

I bought a jiffy 4 years ago and have not regretted it for one second, high quality American made product will last years with no issues. The last cheapo steamer I bought just fell apart, like Gayle said they are rubbish.

sewingmachinegirl likes this.
  7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

My sister has a Rowenta stand up steamer that she has used for 3 years and she loves it. She bought it used for $60 on Craig's List, so maybe keep an eye out on that site.

My Rowenta steam iron is 25 years old and still going strong, I always felt it a very good name in irons and steamers.

8. SultryVintage

Thank you all! I may end up springing for a Jiffy after all because I am a quality over anything else person.

9. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

If anyone wants to get me a terrifically thoughtful holiday gift, in a word: Jiffy!

I have a Conair which is moody... spits at me like an old llama.

10. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Cin, have you covered the head of the steamer with a stocking, even with my Jiffy, I wrap an old pair of pantyhose...it does help.

11. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I have and it has not helped. This steamer is a bully, I'm afraid.