1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biba kimono dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Alicia Roberts, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Alicia Roberts

Alicia Roberts Registered Guest

Hello all, I'm hoping to get some views on this (potential) Biba dress I've found from some sellers more experienced with the label than me - it's the first one I've found in the wild.

The label certainly seems to match the late 60s Biba label shown in the label resource but the way it's attached is throwing me - it almost looks like the label has been sewn in after the fact. There are also two other labels next to it - on the left is the remains of a white label that has been cut, on the right is a small label saying '10' in what looks a bit like black marker pen.

The dress itself is a wrapover in a jersey material with kimono sleeves and a print incorporating Japanese traditional houses. The person I acquired it from wasn't sure of the authenticity but said it had been her mother's and kept in the family for many years.

I know it can't be authenticated here but I'm keen to get people's thoughts before I try to find someone to authenticate in real life - does it look like a genuine late 60s biba, or is it a cheeky fake? Thanks in advance!

20210410_162745.jpg 20210410_163846.jpg 20210410_163914.jpg 20210410_163120.jpg 20210410_162658.jpg

GemGem and Metro Retro Vintage like this.
  2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Midge likes this.
  3. Alicia Roberts

Alicia Roberts Registered Guest

denisebrain likes this.
  4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That is gorgeous! Who doesn't love Biba?

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Lovely dress, styling is reminiscent of those Hawaiian Pake-Mu dresses.

6. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Gorgeous, great colourway too!