1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bit of a puzzle I require help with.

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by Avantbo, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hello,

Amongst my motley collection of items I have a few dozen, stiff, starched, mens detachable collars, circa early 19th century to present date, lots of names and we have all heard of them.

Among them are 2 wing collars with "Liberty of London", the style is Merton.

I wasn't sure of their age, ( both incidentally have the same owners ID penned on them), so I did a search and came up zilch, thousands of vintage detachable shirt collars, not one, "Liberty of London" detachable collar.

I wrote to Liberty's archive department, emailed some images to them, they responded, they couldn't help but added that they thought the collar label odd as usually their products would be marked " Liberty & Co". They further explained that while indeed they once had a manufacturing unit in Merton, ( which I know ), they couldn't help ID the collars or period sold.

Nothing odd about that, they must have sold millions of items since their birth, a little odder was that their archive department didn't know "Liberty of London" was an established label along side its sister.

Still no light shone on these 2 collars of mine, I know the history of Liberty and its labels but has any member owned a Liberty of London detachable shirt collar?

Below is a couple of images, the ID laundry name of the previous owner I have obscured.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020