1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bleach type spots and dating help on dress?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Mad Catter, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Mad Catter

Mad Catter Registered Guest

There are several light spots that remind me of bleach spots. I think it's silk but haven't tested yet and no labels, I was thinking of dying it but I'm worried that the lighter spots will stay lighter unless I dye it something very dark like emerald green, midnight blue etc. I prefer to keep it the original colour but the spots may be too noticeable in proper light. Opinions?

The dress has boning and the zipper was metal but had started to rust so I removed it already. It was hand sewn and hidden. The skirt is extremely full. The fabric isn't as loud as taffeta but still swishy-audible. I'm sure there's a word for that but you get what I mean :)
    Thanks for any help offered.

Attached Files:

2. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

Gorgeous dress! I see 50s. I love your description of the fabric - what a great way to describe it! And yes, I know what you mean!

Good luck with this!

Inlovewithretro and Mad Catter like this.
  3. Mad Catter

Thanks Susan! Hopefully we'll find someone who has experience dealing with those light spots or dying, and perhaps you'll see it again in a different colour. I keep picturing Liz Taylor in that glamorous emerald green. Mmm, so lovely.

4. Lovely gown. The fabric and construction are dry clean only so I would only recommend dyeing if it was a lost cause as the process will likely damage the fabric. It will lose its crispness and the beautiful sculptural bust may get thrown out of wack and sit badly.

The bleach spots aren’t very noticeable from your photos so I would leave as is. Another option is to cover them with with an embellishment like beading or sequins.

I’m curious about the zipper: they don’t usually rust. If you can, it’s best to replace with something similar rather than a modern one which will reduce its value.

Mad Catter likes this.
  5. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I absolutely agree with 1950s and can see Liz Taylor in it, and I agree with Nicole's comments that it's dry clean only and dying should be a last resort because the fabric will be altered. The fabric might be rayon taffeta if it's not silk taffeta but you will only know that if you do a burn test. If you plan to wear it - depending on where the spots are and how much they show when on, you could try something I have done occasionally which sounds weird but works. I have mixed powdered eye shadow to the exact shade and then applied it with a Q-tip to the fade (or spot.) I have done this more with carpet than clothing but I have done it on clothing. I think you might be able to match that yummy silvery grey/blue color. The eye shadow will rub off if it doesn't work - and of course you should test it in an unobtrusive spot and "apply sparingly."

I realize this is highly unconventional and maybe someone will come along with a more traditional approach!

Again, it depends on if you plan to wear it yourself and where the spots are.

Good luck - it's a fabulous dress!

6. Mad Catter

What a great technique for those spots! Yes I can definitely try it on an unobtrusive spot first. There are about 8 spots that I can find but the image shows the largest, it's about the size of a pop can ring. Thank you Linn!

Hi Nicole,
    I never even thought of the texture being ruined by getting it wet with a dye. Makes perfect sense now! I'm going to try the eyeshadow because I probably have that silvery-blue-grey.

As far as the zipper rusting, quite a few pieces in this batch had rusted snaps, hooks and zippers. Most of the time there was no damage to the fabric so I caught it in time. The clothing isn't water damaged or musty but I think they were all stored in high humidity. I probably kept the original zipper so I'll take a look to see if there's anything notable about it. Maybe have a company name on them. I'll use the same type zipper as a replacement. I have a ton of old sewing notions that are in good condition so I may have one of the same era.

Thanks again!