1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

blog about German designers

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by EveryDress, Jul 1, 2010.

1. EveryDress

EveryDress Registered Guest

Hi,

I just started a shop in Germany (de). As I am writing a blog as well I am looking also for information on vintage clothing. My special interest are German Designers, so I hope to find here stories, background information and pictures on designers who left the country e.g. Jews who escaped the Holocaust.

Greetings from Berlin

Sonja

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I look forward to reading your blog. The only famous Jewish designer who fled I know was Rudi Gernreich, who came from Austria.

3. EveryDress

Ah, thanks, I didn`t know that Gernreich was Jewish and Austrian. Unfortunately my blog is in German language only. If you are interested in the topic there are some books in English language that I can recommend:

Broken Threads: The Destruction of the Jewish Fashion Industry in Germany and Austria (Roberta S. Kremer)
    Nazi Chic: fashioning women in the Third Reich (Irene Gunther)

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I read both of those when I was researching my chapter on fashion in Germany for my book Forties Fashion - they were both very useful.

5. DeCoDiVa

DeCoDiVa Registered Guest

YOUR BOOK

I must be living under a rocK!:duh2:My mother and I poured over ALL of the pages in your book. We were swooning over everything. Did you do any book signings when the book came out?:adore:

6. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

The book was released just as the recession hit and the publishers didn't follow up with any promotion that I could see, so there were no official signings. However a second printing with revised information (I updated the CC41 info!) is coming out next spring and perhaps it will be different then...

7. DeCoDiVa

DeCoDiVa Registered Guest

I am hoping you will be touring soon, the book better received...( it's so comprehensive) the recession hit us all hard!
    ~dd:drinkingtoast:

8. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Hi,

I'm just bumping this back up as I am wondering if anyone has heard anything about a German designer hat maker names Clare Bischof? I spelled her name incorrectly in a previous thread. I have one of her hats, looks to be late 1940's, possibly earlier WWII era. B

9. EveryDress