1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bloomers, Bosoms, and BVDs

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by lkranieri, Jul 21, 2018.

1. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I just posted this item to our historical society's Facebook page and thought VFG members might enjoy seeing it, too.

Although this ink blotter in the collection of the historical society is undated, I assume it dates to the early 1900s based upon the laundry items mentioned in the advertisement.

The Sunshine Chinese Laundry advertised the prices for laundering such now-unfamiliar articles of clothing as bloomers (loose, often-ruffly pants that covered the body from the waist to the knee, worn over the corset and under the other clothing), union suits/BVDs (one-piece long underwear), bosoms ("falsies"), corset covers (a loose, often-ruffly top that covered the body from the shoulders to the waist), combinations (a loose, one-piece undergarment that was essentially a "combination" of the corset cover and bloomers), waists (women's blouses), drawers (plainer ladies pantalets) and night shirts (like a long shirt, worn to bed). Note, too, the 'pajama suits.'

Ink blotters were used to prevent smearing in newly-penned ink, such as from fountain pens. They were used extensively by the 1800s, but the 1940s appearance of the ballpoint pen spelled the demise of fountain pens and the ink blotter.

SunshineChineseLaundryNoAddress.jpg

2. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Thank you - fascinating to see the prices!

3. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Someone noted on our Facebook page that the blotter states it was near our local theater (I took the address off this image) and that theater has a 1925 founding date on it. Based upon the items mentioned, I would have guessed this blotter was earlier than the 1920's, but maybe they were still doing grandmom's bloomers and corsets? The flappers of the 1920's wouldn't be wearing "bosoms" I am sure.

4. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

It sure seems older than 1925 in the terminolgy.

lkranieri likes this.
  5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

How I wish these laundries still existed. When I opened my shop in 1979 there still was a Chinese laundry next door, I brought them some tablecloths, they did excellent work.

Thank you for sharing Lynne.

6. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Yes, I certainly think so, too...except for things such as the 'pajama suits.'

7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I am a bit baffled by the mixed terminology - they list both drawers and bloomers -- something I assumed were one in the same. And they have a 'bosom' listed in with the men's items, which makes me think it must be a shirt front - typically worn with evening wear. I think it has to be no later than the 1910s when underwear was still washed and starched cotton rather than rayon or silk.

8. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Jonathan, I think you are onto something. Although I see towels, pillow cases, etc. mixed in with ladies garments, you are correct that that first column is primarily men's items. After poking through the newspaper databases, I found many references to men's shirt bosoms, which led me to find this 1847 patent for a man's 'shirt bosom.' Thanks for the musings that led me to find another definition of bosoms.

ShirtBosomPatent1847.jpg

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018