1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blue bag - possible 80s?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Alice M, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Alice M

Alice M Registered Guest

I have this little blue bag, I think it might be 80s but I'm unsure. No brand tag unfortunately, but the closure/press stud part says 'Towanny' which was a purse brand in the 70s and 80s from what I can tell.
    Photos are from in the second hand store I bought it from sorry.
    The little oval sticker simply says 'Made in Hong Kong'.
    The colour is true to the photos, very vibrant blue.
    The cord is old and scrappy and has been knotted back onto itself to be fixed by some past owner.

Thank you in advance for your help with dating this.
    AliceM
    20190827_120320.jpg 20190827_120332.jpg 20190827_120325.jpg 20190827_120343.jpg 20190827_120337.jpg

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Looks 80s to me, and that bright electric blue is certainly an 80s colour

3. Alice M

Alice M Registered Guest

Thanks Ruth, I have found lots of purses from the 70s and 80s with the brand name of Towanny, which is on the clasp/press stud, and I agree that the blue is more of an 80s colour than 70s. Thank you for your suggestion towards that as well!

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

5. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

yep, also agree 80s. along with that blue there was a vivid shade of pink, and a vibrant green....they were called "jewel tones"

Alice M likes this.
  6. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

7. Alice M

Alice M Registered Guest

Thank you Midge, Mary and Mary Jane, I think I can safely say that it is 80s! I am not sure what outfit to use it with yet, or maybe I will onsell it, but I couldn't leave it there as it was just so pretty! I wish the 'jewel tones' would come back in so I could find more pieces in this fabulous colour!

8. The Vintage Merchant

I was working at Bebe's in Honolulu in the 80s when NBL (North Beach Leather) came out with their blue line (they also produced the same pieces in red, white and black). This line FLEW out of the shop!

Spring 1987 North Beach Leather catalog | Photography by Herb Ritts

NBL.jpg

9. Alice M

Alice M Registered Guest

That is so fantastic! Look at that colour! Not sure I could wear tight leather like that in the Aussie summer, but if Honolulu can maybe I should try haha. Thank you for sharing :)

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  10. The Vintage Merchant