1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bold summer dresses

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Midge, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Here's my find from the London trip in February... exactly the kind of cotton summer dress with a bold print that I had been looking for:

50ssummerdress.jpg
    It has a sewn-in petticoat of some kind of startched cheese-cloth like material. That was very crumpled but came out really nice when I steamed a bit. Beautiful big mother of pearl-buttons. No labels anywhere, but it looks like a commercially-made piece.

I have also finally gotten around to finish this: marimekko1.jpg
    Made from modern Marimekko fabric, with the iconic "Unikko"-print, which Maija Isola originally designed for Marimekko in 1964. Marimekko keep reiussing old fabric desgins, often also in new colorways like this one. I liked this for a summer dress because of the bright colors! The pattern I used is from a 1967 Burda magazine, which seems fitting :).
    marimekko2.jpg
    Back of dress. The pattern also included a fabric tie-belt, short jacket and a pill box hat... but I only wanted a "new" dress from Unikko fabric (and will wear it with a wide white or green belt). I cut in the best way to show off the different colors and most of the flowers, and it is fully lined. I've also done a considerable bit of hand-seaming on this, all with threads that match the colors in the print... lots of work!

The inspiration for this was this dress, which my mom made for me some 10 years ago, in a more traditional rendering of Unikko:
    marimekko3.jpg
    The moment I saw this fabric I knew I wanted some kind of short 1960s-style dress made from this that would show off the print to it's best. You can't see this in the picture here, but it's pretty worn out, especially at the arm holes (I have worn it a lot... served me well for many a job interview in the super hot summer of 2003...), so it sadly has to go... but now I have the perfect replacement :).

Karin

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Those are all wonderful, Karin!

Perhaps you can still get a cute skirt made out of that last one.

3. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Love the print and simple shirtwaist styling on that first dress, Karin!

And kudos on your Marimekko fabric frock! You really have shown off the wonderful flowers in the print to maximum advantage, and I love details like the cross-over in back. You're one talented seamstress!

4. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

5. honeychurch

honeychurch Registered Guest

Absolutely stunning pieces, all! I wish I could sew myself a dress. They're all darling.

6. TangerineBoutique

TangerineBoutique VFG Member

I just love the print on that first dress! thank you for sharing.
    Melody

7. Midge

Thanks, everybody! I really have to get up and sew more... so many patterns and ideas, but often not enough time... but the weekend before last I had to go downtown anyway, so I went and splurged some $250 on fabrics, with some of the fabulous vintage patterns I have here in mind. I've started another dress, but am not sure if I get to finish it before I'm off on my big business trip. I'm working with a previously unused, unprinted 1940s pattern right now, and loving it. I'm a bit of a minimalist in some things, and not having to cut the pieces, not having to add the seam allowance when cutting the pieces (because it's included already!), and to have all those neat little holes to stitch the thread markings through without ruining the pattern makes it all a lot easier and quicker :cool:. I spent a lot more time on the pattern and on cutting for this Marimekko dress and on the one I'm working on now.

Karin

8. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Oh Karin! I love that first dress, I would wear that in a heartbeat. I have a very similar dress however that is essentially the same cut, but with a scoop neck. It is yellow with a sunflower print and the same large pearlescent buttons and a self covered belt. I would show you a photo but I'm currently letting the shoulders out. Do you have the belt for yours? It looks like it had one once.

I am sewing my Macbeth courtier dress at the moment - it has been cut from a pattern - however due to the director's choice of velveteen fabric all shaping has gone out the window and it will be a sack with maybe fitted arms lol! It should look fine on stage though :BAGUSE:

Talking of bold summer dresses I have a dilemma - I found the most amazing op art print red & white linen maxi summer dress, fits me to the T - but I can't imagine ever going somewhere I could wear so bold a dress! It screams 60's/70's! If I lived in Barbados say...I can see it with the big sunglasses and huge wicker bag, strolling along the beach no problem, in the UK? maybe it would be worn once for Goodwood should the gods grant us a day of good weather but besides that it's staying in the wardrobe. :rolleyes:

9. Midge

Melanie, I would love to see your dresses! Sunflower print - sounds great! Yes, my dress as belt loops so probably it had a belt once. I will wear it with a belt from my collection - maybe a green one. I've actually just washed and gently ironed it, and now it's as good as new.
    Your op art dress must be absolutely divine - I'd love to see a picure! We usually get enough warm/hot days to wear summer dresses here, though the summer seems to be moving more towards September for warm and dry weather. I have to factor in the odd business trip to a tropical climate in as well, and a neat cotton dress is always a good option for these. I'm off to the next trip next week, and debating about packing the yellow or the Marimekko dress. Day temperates should be around 30° Celsius - can't wait, even if it's work! We've had an almost white easter here, which really is enough of winter now :).

Hmm... maybe you can decoratively belt your Macbeth dress to not look totally shapeless?

Karin

10. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Karin, bravo on such a fabulous sewing job on those dresses, love them!. And I also loved your london find, its adorable :sunshine:

11. marlisaysvintage

marlisaysvintage Registered Guest

I would give my soul for those Marimekkos!