1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bomwit Teller red silk hat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Neil Atkinson, Aug 15, 2018.

?

Can anyone date this hat?

1. 40s

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 50s

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Neil Atkinson

Neil Atkinson Registered Guest

This hat was passed down to me. Can anyone date it or give me anymore info
    Thanks in advance
    Neil
    Bonwit not Bomwit!

Attached Files:

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

3. Neil Atkinson

4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That is such a finely made hat, I love the soft bow and beautiful color. I am not seeing a Bonwit Teller label, I see a Mr. Arnold label inside the hat. Perhaps there is also a Bonwit label?

I agree it looks 1950s, maybe the later part of the decade and could even be very early 1960s. That style continued to be popular throughout the 1960s, actually. But I think (not sure) that "Mr. Arnold" stopped designing by the mid 60s. That is not his early label, hence my dating it to the later time period. His early linings were hand painted with his name and the little mirrors were gold and actually had silver gilt for the glass and sometimes glued on plastic jewels.

It really is a beautiful hat.

5. Neil Atkinson

Thank you very much for that info Barbara, really useful. There is a Bonwit Teller label underneath the Mr Arnold label, it’s difficult to see in the photo.
    I’m not sure what to do with the hat, it’s a beautiful thing. It belonged to a London art dealer who sadly passed away a few years back.

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

The Bonwit Teller label is showing right under the Mr. Arnold label. It is a little dark in the photo as the Bonwit label is black and so is the lining of the hat.