1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brick and Mortar Vintage Stores/Shops list - UK and Ireland

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Hattysattic, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

Whenever I visit somewhere away from my home town I look for places to shop for vintage - obviously! - but they are sometimes hard to track down as they are not on the main streets etc. I'm sure a lot of people do the same. So....

The purpose of this thread is to try and compile a list/guide of vintage or antique clothing shops/stores around the UK and Ireland. Please add any that you know of here, and include name, address (and a brief description if possible!)

*Please note, this list is for information purposes only and does not indicate endorsement - or guarantee a good find!*

:)

2. Hattysattic

lincolnshire and surrounding area. well, quite frankly it's slim pickings!

"ego"
    2 the strait
    lincoln

mixture of vintage and retro. not an enormous shop but quite a wide range of stuff 1940 -70, caters to growing student population (university recently expanded) so stock changes pretty frequently. always worth a quick look!

hemswell antique centres
    caenby corner estate
    hemswell cliff
    gainsborough
    lincolnshire
    DN21 5TJ

various concessions in a number of buildings (huge complex, ex raf base) - the various vintage and antique clothing and textiles booths seem to be growing in number, which is good and makes for an afternoon or even a day browsing...plus there is a 1940's theme (but no real rationing thank goodness!) tea room in one building, always a bonus... prices vary, as does quality but definitely worth a look.

will edit this post as i think of more!

3. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Duh, I do know that NC is not in the UK, really, I do!

Western North Carolina:

Asheville -

Diggin' Art on Haywood Road in West Asheville

Deluxe Modern on Haywood Road in West Asheville

Magnolia Beauregards downtown on Biltmore Avenue

Lexington Park Antique Mall has 2 booths of mainly vintage - Downtown at the corner of Lexington Ave and Rankin Avenue

There are several retro shops on Lexington, downtown, plus a big vintage store which I'll have to get the name of.

Hendersonville:

RSPV- Main Street Hendersonville.

Antique Mall on 4th Ave has vintage

Jane Asher's Antiques on Nain has vintage

Needful Things Antique Mall just off I-26 at Hendersonville exit has several booths with vintage

4. BarbaraVilliers

BarbaraVilliers Registered Guest

Observatory Greenwich, London. What The Butler Saw Tooney Street London, Radio Days Tooney Street London, Tolkein and Steinberg Kings Road London,The Emporium Greenwich, London, Portobello Rd has loads of them.
    Louise

5. vanzy10

vanzy10 Registered Guest

Clobber next to Polksdown station in Bournemouth. There are lots of antique shops on that road too many with clothes.
    The antiques market on monday in covent Garden (London) has lots of clothes and accessories.

6. ellienedwin

ellienedwin Registered Guest

in Wales, UK
    Blind Lemon Vintage, 2 High Street, Narberth, Pembrokeshire, SA67 7AR
    www.blindlemonvintage.co.uk

Buzz & Co, 13 High Street Arcade, Cardiff, CF10 1BB
    Hobo's Clothing, 26 High street Arcade, cardiff, CF10 1BB

in Bristol, UK
    Clifton Hill Antiques Costume and Textiles, 5 Lower Clifton Hill, Clifton, Bristol, BS8 1ST
    Uncle Sams, 54A Park Street, Bristol, BS1 5JN
    Sobeys Retrowear, Inside BS8, 34 Park Street, Bristol, BS1
    Repsycho, 85 Gloucester Road, Bishopston, Bristol, BS7 8AS
    Bees and Graves, 3 Clifton Arcade, Boyce's Avenue, Brsitol, BS8 4AA

Hope that helps

Ellie & Edwin

7. Vintagetrend

Vintagetrend Registered Guest

Just happened to be talking/IMing to Ireland right now.. this is a list given to me by an Irishman *smile*

There is a shop that sells vintage clothing at the Castle market.
    It is called Harlequin., Castle Market, Dublin 2:

Eager Beaver, Crown ally, Dublin 2

A Store is Born, Clarendon St, Dublin 2 (open Saturdays)

Vintage Jewellery: Jenny Vander, 50 Dury St, Dublin 2

Rhinestones, 18 St Andrews Street, Dublin 2

I will be visiting them soon so I can give you more info on each perhaps!

Michelle

8. Vintagetrend

Oop a bit more info on Ireland

Temple Bar has a number of small clothes shops, including some good second hand and vintage shops.
    Wild Child on South Gt George's Street is also good for vintage and unusual clothing.

9. Vintagetrend

Sigh... last thing on Ireland

Temple Bar Meeting House Square for the Sunday Market ...

10. Aphrodite_Nymphia

Aphrodite_Nymphia Registered Guest

Wow Michelle you know more about the shops in Dublin than me and I go there everyday! Mind you the last thing I need is to know where they all are. I can see my money disappearing already! I do know of Harlequin, Rhinestones and Jenny Vanders though. Rhinestones is such a beautiful shop, wow, manys a winters day has been spent pressed up against the window staring at the delights within. Mind you though the prices are VERY high! That said my aunt did buy me a pair of long, dangly rhinestone earings out of there for my 21st last Christmas and they are beautiful and very high quality. Jenny Vanders is quite expensive too, but I have never spent much time in there, although she does have a lot of beautiful things.

Emma.

11. Vintagetrend

Hey Emma!
    Well these are shops recommended by or found by a man I know in Ireland so I am not sure how they are! I will see soon, also thinking of moving out your way :) We shall see how the shopping is but it is just a hop, skip and jump to London and such... Monthly trip to London? That would be fun!
    What a fabulous Aunt you have! I love the pricey shops, the way such care is taken with displays and to make sure items are in such good condition. Like a breath of fresh air that ya can't afford *smile*

If you get to any of the other shops mentioned will you let me know how they are? I will be so busy when I am there I would hate to waste time trotting about town shopping... not that I would want you to waste your time!!

Michelle

12. Hattysattic

Arsenic and Old Lace
    55 High Street
    Martin
    Lincolnshire
    LN4 3QY
    01526 378838

Popped in today.. small boutiquey thing with vintage clothing and costume jewellery. Worth a look if you're passing, but definitely worth ringing first if there's something you're particularly after before you trail out there (pretty rural!)

:)

13. VintageFray

VintageFray Alumni

Vintage stores (I know of) in Edinburgh:

Armstrong's vintage clothing emporium
    83 Grassmarket
    Edinburgh
    EH1 2HJ
    T: (0131) 220 5557

The main Armstrong’s shop in Edinburgh and the best. Usually has a good supply of 1950’s dresses that are reasonably priced, as well as some nice old pieces.

Armstrong’s
    64-66 Clerk Street
    Edinburgh
    EH8 9JB
    T:0131 667 3056

This one is slightly out of the way and a lot smaller than the first. A lot more studenty but still some really nice things.

Rusty Zip
    14 Teviot Place
    Edinburgh
    EHI 2QZ

The last vintage shop in Armstrong’s ownership. Is quite small and caters towards the student market. Would be very unlikely to discover anything pre fifties. Usually well priced. In walking distance of the grassmarket Armstrong’s.

Elaine’s vintage clothing
    55 saint Stephen street
    Edinburgh

I’ve never been to this one, as its quite far out of the way of my usual haunts. Was advertised in vogue in those vintage sections it sometimes has at the back.

Godiva
    9 West Port
    Grassmarket
    Edinburgh
    EHI 2JA

Again, in walking distance of the grassmarket Armstrong’s. Sells clothes that have been made by students and has one rail of vintage clothing. This shop is usually quite highly priced. But had some very nice vintage t-shirts that the owner had got from abroad last time I was in.

Herman Brown
    151 west port
    Edinburgh
    EH3 9DP

I’ve only just heard about this one, so again, I’m not sure what its like.

That’s all the ones I know about in Edinburgh I think. Although there is a rather nice shop that sells linen and dollies and a couple of dresses on the way to godiva, but I cant remember what its called! I’ll make a list of Glasgow shops soon

14. VintageFray

VintageFray Alumni

Vintage clothing Glasgow

Mr Ben Vintage Clothing
    Kings Court
    Kings St
    Glasgow
    G1 5RB

A packed shop with clothes usually dating from 50s-80s. Also has some modern second hand clothes. Worth a look if your in the area.

Saratoga Trunk
    Unit 10
    61 Hydepark Street
    Glasgow
    G3 8BW
    0141 221 4433

A vast warehouse of vintage clothes, took my breath away when I first went there. If your ever in Glasgow, fit this place in to your trip. It’s often called Scotland’s largest vintage clothing store, although storeroom might be more accurate. Clothing from Saratoga trunk has been used in films like Evita, young adam and even parts of the outfit worn by Natalie Portman as Queen Amidala in the star wars movies. Prices are high, but some of the things found here are just so good…anway lol, theres also a hiring section with some really nice things. Also to be found- vintage curtains, linens and jewellery. Call before you go though, as they often have theatre groups in and all sorts as I found out to my cost last time I was there. Johnny cash was a visitor with his wife here too, I wonder what he bought!

Starry Starry Night
    19 Dowanside Lane
    G12 9BZ
    0141 337 1837

Situated of byres road (only a few underground stops away from Glasgow’s main shopping area) A charming little shop, with some great vintage. Last time I was in I fell in love with a 1920’s art deco dress, but it wasn’t my size . Although this shop looks like it might fall down at any moment, it really has a nice atmosphere, and the staff are really friendly. This shop is shared with a jewellery maker, who makes some very nice modern jewellery. Prices are good, and I sometimes think there even under priced. Has a whole rail of antique vintage. The storeroom is open to the public and is a lot bigger than the shop- it’s at the barrowlands market. last time I was in there the owner had just bought a huge amount of twenties and thirties clothing from a museum; who’d bought it from Sotheby’s. None of it was priced yet, but I gave the shop assistant my number to call me when it is- hopefully I’ll get a call back because some of that stuff was amazing!

That’s all the ones I’ve been to- although I know there are a few more.

15. Hattysattic

:clapping: thanks Rosine - you've made me want to drive North!

16. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

UK - Cirencester, Gloucestershire

SHEUNIQUE

I just found this nice shop on holiday it's in Cirencester Gloucestershire apparently only been open a little while, a little off the beaten track for some of you in the UK
    It has Vintage Jewellery from the 20's to 50's a few vintage clothes and a lot of vintage accessories. I found a really nice 20's ladies cigarette holder which court my eye . Sheila's the owner says that she wears 40's outfits, her contact is 07787507112 and located off the main market place down the alleyway by Rackhams open Tues - Sat 12 - 4 approx.
    I have more detail if required...

17. Hattysattic

Two more have sprung up in Horncastle (small market town in the Lincolnshire Wolds!) , will check on the addresses later and post.

Nice selections, one has quite a bit of earlier stuff (more antique than vintage) too.

Plus there is an excellent cake shop halfway betweeen the two.... :D

18. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

I remember in Horn castle going around a antique shop cannot remember the name but it had room after room of stuff a whole house full and the sheds at the back, if any one is pasing through worth a look, that's not one of the ones you on about.
    Cake shop no thank you ... I prefer the ironmongers.

19. Hattysattic

LOL - yes, that is the old co-op on north street. I used to spend my Sundays in there trawling through the most bizarre stuff while my then boyfriend spent hours in the room full of old records (literally HOURS!)

As a little town it is well worth a visit for antiques as pretty much every other shop is selling them.

20. Hattysattic